PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Smell in Passenger Compartment

jlavin
02-27-2006, 19:02
I have an 02 crew cab long bed LT. When I am excelerating I smell diesel exhaust pretty strong. I have the heat on and if I choose the outside air setting it seems worse. Just driving along I do not smell it as much. Anyone ever have this? I checked the exhaust piping arround the turbo and under the truck but see no evidence of a leak. I also checked along all the fuel lines and exhaust manifolds as best as I can see but no evidence of a leak. Any ideas?

Thanks
jlavin

Heartbeat Hauler
02-27-2006, 19:05
Any mods? Like for instance pyro guage, aftermarket exhaust, secondary fuel filter, etc.
JP

BTW, filling out your sig can assist others in diagnosing your problem.

jlavin
02-27-2006, 19:10
No mods. All Stock. 65,000 mi 02 crew cab long bed LT. Has been a great truck to date.

jlavin

Mark Rinker
03-01-2006, 11:20
Leak at fuel filter making its way onto hot engine or exhaust manifold? Improperly seated fuel filter?

Heartbeat Hauler
03-01-2006, 12:25
Leak at fuel filter making its way onto hot engine or exhaust manifold? Improperly seated fuel filter?

Exactly what I was thinkin'.
JP

DmaxMaverick
03-01-2006, 13:55
Not likely a fuel filter issue. By the time the filter is leaking enough to allow fuel to get out, the engine won't run because of all the air getting in. These engines don't have an OEM lift pump. Suction all the way from the tank to the engine mounted low/high pressure pump. If fuel is leaking under the hood, it's more likely the pump (FPR), injector line/rail, or a return line.