PDA

View Full Version : Time for new tires, could use some advice

IdahoBassman
02-27-2006, 22:25
I am still running my orignial tires on my '01 dually, LT215/85R16 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S(Load Range E). I just hit 61,000 miles. I had my oil changed today and the dealer highly recommended that I replace them.

I would like to stay with the same size I guess. I am just not sure what brand. Is there a better tire out there. I mostly stay on the highway, I have a 10.5 foot cab-over camper and tow a Skeeter bass boat. Would like to get another 60k plus on the next set.

Stay with Goodyear? Go with Cooper? What about BFGoodrich, Yokohamas, Dunlop, or Michelins?

Too many choices, please give advice.

Thanks in advance.
Idaho Bassman

JD_Diesel
02-27-2006, 23:42
If it was me I'd go with michelins. JD

StrangeEngine
02-28-2006, 00:05
I ran 20-something thousand miles on the stock Steeltexes and then swapped them out for a set of Bridgestone AT Revos. Got 30-something thousand out of those and tomorrow a set of 265/75-16 Michelin LTX M/S's are getting mounted.

I'll post a review after a couple of thousand miles.

The Revos were a great tire, but the closest I ever get to offroad is the occasional trip to the dump, whereas I tow the race trailer for long distances, so I wanted something more highway-oriented but still capable of heading up to the snow occasionally.

- Mark

Kennedy
02-28-2006, 09:09
I like the Michelins LTX MS myself. With a dually and a PITA to rotate, I might suggest looking for a good rib tread design. The ribs resist "chopping" a bit better. Your road conditions will dictate whether a rib tire has sufficient grip for you. You should get even better wear out of Michelin rubber.

Heartbeat Hauler
02-28-2006, 14:47
I like the Michelins LTX MS myself. With a dually and a PITA to rotate, I might suggest looking for a good rib tread design. The ribs resist "chopping" a bit better. Your road conditions will dictate whether a rib tire has sufficient grip for you. You should get even better wear out of Michelin rubber.
I'll be in the same position next summer with my dually tires, any truth to the talk that the Michelin LTX MS tires don't bite that well in the wet or snow?
JP

Kennedy
02-28-2006, 17:18
It's not so much Michelin as the rubber compound. It's a tradeoff between treadwear and traction in most cases. While tread pattern does influence traction, compound has a huge effect. The harder the rubber the longer the wear and less traction.

I don't mind them that much myself, BUT when it gets nasty I have a set of Blizzaks to fall back on...

chrisinkanata
02-28-2006, 19:12
I just installed a set of 265 Michelin LTX M/S to replace the well worn Bridgestone 245's. Much smoother, more comfortable ride. Lots of snow & ice on the roads up here and no problems yet. I find I have to keep the presures a fair bit lower while empty anyway, to get an acceptable contact patch that uses the whole width of the tread footprint. I think I have about 40lbs rear and 60lbs front. When I start towing in the spring again, I'll have to re-examine this.

Chris

WILLYD-MAX
02-28-2006, 20:29
We switched our dually to michelins around 60k. I think we may get around the same tread life out of the michelins.

BozDMAX
03-01-2006, 07:34
I went 89K on my stock LT215/85R16 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires and could have made 90K+ pretty easily but we were heading south for the winter and I had already picked up a new set of the same when they were on sale.

When we were driving through Akron, OH last summer we stopped and toured the Goodyear Museum and I mentioned in passing to an employee in the elevator that they ought to give out coupons for tires. 10 minutes later I left the building with coupons for $120 ($20x6) off on the next set. "Profitable" conversation!

Rather than "Drive it like I stole it" (which I admit is a great line), I "Drive it like I own it" and plan to for a long time to come... :)

IdahoBassman
03-01-2006, 12:01
Thanks to everyone for all the input. It looks to me like the Michelins are the preferred tire. However they are the most expensive and none of the local tire shops will give any warranty past the factory warranty. Here is what I have compiled so far (Idaho Prices):

LT215/85R16 Load Range E (all prices include mount, balance, stems etc.)

Michelins AT/S $1284 + tax
pro-rated warranty only against manufacture defects.

BigFoot ATs $1013 + tax
Full road hazard life of tire (50K)

Cooper ZTR $900 + tax
replacement upto 25%, pro-rated after that.

Open Country ATT $1030 + tax
factory pro-rated warranty

Are the Michelins really that much better to spend the extra $260 and give up some warranty. How many more miles will I get out of them?

Given that money IS hard to come by, what would you do?

thanks again.
Idaho Bassman

Heartbeat Hauler
03-01-2006, 12:38
I dunno Idaho. I'm leaning toward the Michelin LTX MS, but am afraid of traction issues, mostly in muddy campgrounds. I know the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires I have now are not very good and was hoping to improve this somewhat. After reading John's reply about a harder compound in the LTX tires I'm thinkin' even less wet/muddy road traction, but gaining longevity and probably better highway manners. Also, I am probably going to go to the 245/75/16 size tire, they are the same height as the stock 215's (no PCM changes) just a tad wider. They are also a more popular size and may even have some cost saving benefits because of this popularity. Oops, I forgot, I already have rear wheel spacers so that would be an extra cost for you if you go the 245/75/16 route.
JP

rjwest
03-01-2006, 17:05
Been using coopers forever ( well 30 yrs plus )

Ride a little harder ( my michelin buddies tell me )
but wear very well. and have a very good replacement
( pro rated ) no questions,

HAd 2 tires on my 1/2 ton with sidewall checks with 80K miles on them,
was running somewhat overloaded, ( 3k camper )

Stopped by the dealer, asked him about 'checking '
he called cooper distributer, prorated them at 50 %.

Put a set on the dually at 70k, now 130K, almost
to the wear marks, and NO scallops anywhere.
best wearing front end I ever had,
( the front end guy is about 55, been doing aliengments
since high school, HE's GOOD !!)

Wish rest of truck was as good.....

StrangeEngine
03-02-2006, 00:11
I just installed a set of 265 Michelin LTX M/S to replace the well worn Bridgestone 245's. Much smoother, more comfortable ride.

Mine went on yesterday and you're right - the ride is GREAT. It was obvious pulling away from the tire shop.

I like 'em so far.

- Mark

mark45678
03-04-2006, 14:28
I have replaced every tire on my trucks with Michelin LTX AT ... My first 1993 c-2500 got 107,000 mile on one set of tires ! That sold me , MY other trucks had around 50K on the tires at the time of trade in they still had around 1/4" of tread over the wear bars ! The AT tread is better in the snow then the M&S tread, I think they both use the same rubber ! A guy I work with put over 102,000 mile on his 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 before they got replaced (OEM tire is Michelin LTX M&S 265-75-16 E)..

Heartbeat Hauler
03-06-2006, 12:13
I have replaced every tire on my trucks with Michelin LTX AT ... My first 1993 c-2500 got 107,000 mile on one set of tires ! That sold me , MY other trucks had around 50K on the tires at the time of trade in they still had around 1/4" of tread over the wear bars ! The AT tread is better in the snow then the M&S tread, I think they both use the same rubber !
What is the difference in road noise between the LTX M/S and the LTX A/T?
JP