PDA

View Full Version : new turbo?

d.h.
02-27-2006, 23:54
I,ve been expeiriencing little or no boost for the last year.I havn,t been pulling much and figured I would wait(or ignore it).The wastgate has been wired up for the last year as well.I was getting a check engine light lately and took to dealer to be scanned. It showed what I expected saying a turbo-boost problem.The mechanic said I should have lots of boost with the wastegate wired up,and figures my turbo is pooched.I never hear any spool of turbo,but also have never heard a bad noise from it either.I pulled intake side off and blades spin freely with little or no movement sideways.THey gave me a price of $4,200 for a new one.What a deal!!! I said I would do a little moe legwork and get back to them.I know vaccum pump is bad and ordered this as its a place to start.Any ideas? I was going to recheck all my i/c connections as well just in case.Thanks. Great new look on the page !

Dave

16gaSxS
02-28-2006, 11:59
The wastegate itself could be a problem. $4200 for a TURBO, it's not for a flipping airplane! You can buy one for under $1000 and install it yourself. It isn't hard maybe 4 hours if you never done it. Order new nuts they are stainless so they are softer than normal nuts and easly rounded off. Infact Kennedy Diesel on of the sponsor vendors here have rebuilt units for $600 plus $200 core.

JohnC
02-28-2006, 12:53
Figure out what's wrong before you start throwing money around. If it's free and intact, it should make tons of boost with the wastegate wired shut. Sure it's not wired open?

d.h.
02-28-2006, 21:05
Thanks for replies. I will definetly shop around if infact it does require turbo.I,m don,t think turbo is gone as there have been no sighns or noise to indicate failure.I,m pretty sure wastegate is wired shut,as I thought vaccum holds in closed position.The lever is wired up in the direction of the hood.I,d be happy if you told me otherwise!!

charliepeterson
02-28-2006, 22:07
If you install a "turbo master" for the waste gate you don't need the vacuum pump anymore. If your keeping the vacuum pump than you need 20-25" waiting at the waste gate and waste gate solenoid. The solenoids are known to fail over time and the plastic supply tubing can crack as well.

d.h.
02-28-2006, 22:42
If you install a "turbo master" for the waste gate you don't need the vacuum pump anymore. If your keeping the vacuum pump than you need 20-25" waiting at the waste gate and waste gate solenoid. The solenoids are known to fail over time and the plastic supply tubing can crack as well.

Once I establish what the problem is that it one option I,ve been thinking of.I,m getting back into towing and want to resolve this fairly soon. Thanks

charliepeterson
03-01-2006, 21:32
I've had a few trouble free years now with the "turbo master".

d.h.
03-01-2006, 21:59
I think the "turbo master"may be the way once I establish whats wrong.Wife brought a horse home tonight and I stood on the road (dark)to back trailer in for her.I thought it was a different truck comming up the road.The check engine light is on again.It,s like there is rag in the exaust holding it back.I,m wondering if wastegate is broken inside preventing flow? Anyone had that happen?If I get a spare day I,m going to attack it.

DmaxMaverick
03-01-2006, 22:21
A broken wastegate shouldn't restrict flow. It may prevent it from going through the right hole.

Just a shot in the dark....Do you still have a cat installed? Worth a serious look if you do.

d.h.
03-01-2006, 23:18
A broken wastegate shouldn't restrict flow. It may prevent it from going through the right hole.

Just a shot in the dark....Do you still have a cat installed? Worth a serious look if you do.

The cat is removed and the muffler is pretty much straight through.I can,t figure with wastegate wired why it is so "doggy".The motor just seems to be laboring.With i/c it should be getting lots of flow.I,m a little stumped

taznj63
03-02-2006, 10:14
When you removed the air cleaner end from the turbo, did you start the engine and "see" that the turbo infact does spin free?
I checked mine that way and it will spin on idle, also you could rev up the engine to see and hear it spin up.

d.h.
03-02-2006, 22:34
When you removed the air cleaner end from the turbo, did you start the engine and "see" that the turbo infact does spin free?
I checked mine that way and it will spin on idle, also you could rev up the engine to see and hear it spin up.

No I have not tried that as my luck I,d suck somthing in.In a few days I hope to get a chance to get at it to try and figure out.I ordered vaccum pump and new plastic lines. If I can get another year I,ll probably trade in on new.

gmenor
03-05-2006, 05:11
I got a spare GM-8 I pulled off my truck. It was working when I pulled it off (happen to upon a brand new GM-8 from a friend). For the cost of shipping I can send it to you.

d.h.
03-05-2006, 22:52
I got a spare GM-8 I pulled off my truck. It was working when I pulled it off (happen to upon a brand new GM-8 from a friend). For the cost of shipping I can send it to you.

Thank you very much for the offer.I need to get a day to replace vaccum pump and lines that I recieved the other day.Once I do this I should be able to establish whether the turbo is the problem or not.I,m hoping not!But if it is maybe I,ll take you up on your offer.
Dave

gmenor
03-06-2006, 21:49
No problem, just renew this post

Inspector
03-07-2006, 13:27
If you are getting an SES light then a code is stored and can be read to narrow down the problem. I do feel that you are going in the right direction in getting the vacume system back in order. From there you will need to know what the codes are in order to effect the final fix. You need to pull the intake duct off and with engine "off" see if the turbo is free to turn by hand. I would also suggest that the wastegate be put back in working order or get the Heath Turbomaster control. At any rate keep us informed and good luck.
Denny

d.h.
03-08-2006, 00:15
I appreciate all the feedback as some of you guys have insightful knowlege.I took apart tonight.Need to take vaccum pump to a shop tomarrow to get pullies swaped as I don,t have proper puller.Turbo on intake side spins freely with no sideway movment.I did however notice when I removed intercooler that everything is full of oil.The rubber is breaking down,so I,ll replace with new.The oil wasn,t running out,just coating everything.How much oil should that breather valve blow out.Maybe I need to replace that?Why could,t one run a hose down to bottom of engine to avoid this as turbo has oil line already.I,m thinking intake causes cetury effect drawing out gases from engine.I don,t think at this stage I need to pull turbo apart as it turns so nice on intake side.

Dave

d.h.
03-08-2006, 00:21
A quick note on ses light. The dealer hooked up their scan tool for me.I showed a low boost problem which is what I was expecting.I don,t recall the code # but he cleared it for me.They actually did it for free! I was alittle surprised.The light came back on on the weekend after wife towed horses around.Thanks, Dave

Hubert
03-08-2006, 05:51
The CDR (Crankcase decompression regulator) allows the turbo to pull and reciculates blowby gasses to combust. The CDR limits the vaccum the turbo will pull on the engine. They can go bad and pull too much vaccum maybe especially if waste gate was wired shut and you spooled quicker and harder sometimes.

I don't know this personally but was reading other posts and typically IC's will build up oil residue due to the reciculating oil mist and may need to be cleaned to keep heat transfer efficiency good. I almost posted something about maybe your turbo is fine and you are getting too big of pressure drop across IC but didn't feel real strong about it being a real big deal. But if oil residue is significant ?????

You can dump oil mist out with a tube but its an environmental thing and it will dirty the truck underside. Also you do get a little economy from it being combustable (I doubt you can measure it though). Some crankcase vaccum helps the engine run better too and helps keep oil inside of seals. Positive crankcase pressure is bad.

d.h.
03-10-2006, 21:53
Well,I went to it lastnight.Replaced vaccum pump,plastic lines and new CDR valve.Took for a drive at midnight and back to its old self.Would ecm no that vaccum pump was bad and limit power as with waste gate wired up I was told I should still have boost? It,s like a new truck again Thanks for help..

Bnave95
03-11-2006, 06:59
DH
I take it you don't have a boost gage?
Can a IC become gloged? Have you tried taking the tube/hose of at the outlet? Checking for air flow. My vac system went down and just could not get it to work and I also run the Turbo Master. You can't set a Turbo Master with out a boost gauge. The stock vac system will not get you the boost you need. I have use JK elect boost fooler when my vac was working.
If you put even just a small load on a wired up turbo your boost will go past 15#.
I'v done this to get boost as with the same problem your having.
Your code may be a 78.(94-95 years) Did'nt see what year you had.
Good luck!

d.h.
03-12-2006, 00:01
DH
I take it you don't have a boost gage?
Can a IC become gloged? Have you tried taking the tube/hose of at the outlet? Checking for air flow. My vac system went down and just could not get it to work and I also run the Turbo Master. You can't set a Turbo Master with out a boost gauge. The stock vac system will not get you the boost you need. I have use JK elect boost fooler when my vac was working.
If you put even just a small load on a wired up turbo your boost will go past 15#.
I'v done this to get boost as with the same problem your having.
Your code may be a 78.(94-95 years) Did'nt see what year you had.
Good luck!
Yes I have boost guage,waste gate has been wired up for last year,to to no avail.until I replaced vaccum pump.I heard that with waste gate wired up you get infanite boost,I did not until I replced vaccum pump.Now with a breeze I can get 15# of boost

Bnave95
03-13-2006, 12:23
Yes I have boost guage,waste gate has been wired up for last year,to to no avail.until I replaced vaccum pump.I heard that with waste gate wired up you get infanite boost,I did not until I replced vaccum pump.Now with a breeze I can get 15# of boost
Hum,When I wired my waste gate I had boost 24-7