PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor

silverback
02-28-2006, 20:34
I love my Dueler AT Revos but I'll be lucky to make 30K miles on them (and I rotated them as directed). I'm seriously considering these new Goodyear Wranglers as a replacement. Has anybody tried them? I'm going to stick with 265/75 R16 load range E (and the E reduces the contenders). I've researched this for a while now but I always check here for before making a truck move.
Thanks,
Ken

DmaxMaverick
02-28-2006, 20:50
If you're not going to get 30K out of your Revo's, you'll not likely find an A/T tire that'll do any better. From what I've seen, the Goodyears are at the lower end of the scale for wear. The Revo's are about the best wearing A/T tire I've seen. My next set will be Revo's. I'm currently running Dueller A/T's, and I'll probably see 50K on them. 25% heavy towing, 40% winding mountain roads, and the rest is city/highway.

That being said, I've seen and heard of some Goodyear tire uses run stooopid long. That's the exception, not the rule.

Tire pressure is critical to how a tire wears. Some folks preach higher pressure for higher economy. True, but at the cost of tire wear. I suggest keeping tire pressure according to the actual load on an axle. The lower pressure will usually cause a slight drop in mileage, but longer tire wear. Which side of the trade off you choose is up to you. In my case, running high pressure would cost me twice as much of the offset. Fuel mileage gained is tire mileage lost, and vice versa.

silverback
02-28-2006, 22:27
DmaxMaverick,
What size Revo are you running and what PSI are you setting them to? When I'm not towing I set to 61 PSI F and 64/65 PSI R. Towing I usually bump up the rear close to 70 PSI depending on what I have in the bed. I'm getting 18 MPG commuting and ~14 MPG towing. I would certainly consider the revos again. As for the Goodyear SilentArmor I'm not sure the've been out long enough (late 2005?) for many buyers to really see how long they go. Thanks for your feedback.
-KL

DmaxMaverick
03-01-2006, 00:05
I'm running 285/75/16 A/T's (not Revo's...yet). I have several friends (as well as a tire shop owner) running them on their HD pickups, of all brands. My typical pressures are dependent on the load at the time. Empty, I run 40 front, 32 rear. With my HEAVY 5'er, I run 55 front, and 65 rear. The max capacity pressure for my tire is 65 PSI. Yours, if load range E, is 80. Just determine the actual weight on the tire, and divide it into the full capacity rating (3415, IIRC). Use the same percent of air pressure, plus 5-10% safety margin. Other methods will have you reading your actual contact patch, or depression. You can drive on smooth sand, mud or snow to see just what the tread is really doing, but that's too technical.

My tire wear is square and even. The only additional wear I get is the front tires will round out a bit on the outside. The result of mountain roads.

OC_DMAX
03-01-2006, 13:35
I have the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires on my truck (245 size / E rating). They work good off-road, yet I do not hear any road noise with them (less road noise than the stock Firestone A/T tires that came with the truck). I use my truck mainly to pull a 5th Wheel trailer and a boat trailer (only about 7k miles per year). I have about 10K miles on them. It is hard to judge when they will wear out.

(A guess - I will be surprised if they make it to 50K miles - I suspect they will go at least 30K miles. The original Firestones only went 26K miles - I don't race around in the truck, though I believe towing the 5th Wheel took a toll on the original tires)

I was debating when I replaced the original Firestones on whether to get the Michelin LTX-MS tires (good reputation for long wear - but not sure about off-road capability) or the Goodyear Silent Armor (which is an unknown - but appears to have good off-road capability). Since I put low miles on the truck each year and this set of tires is the last I will buy for this particular truck, I went with the Goodyears.

silverback
03-02-2006, 10:03
OC_DMAX,
I'm getting the impression you sort of like the Wrangler SilentArmor. What kind of MPG are you seeing? Improvement or decrease?

OC_DMAX
03-04-2006, 09:14
I noticed no change in mileage when replacing the Firestone A/T OEM tires with the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. The truck gets 14-15 mpg around town, 17-19 mpg on the highway and 10-11 mpg pulling the 5th Wheel trailer (about 11K pounds loaded). The road noise was less with the Goodyears vs the original Firestones. There is no noticeable sway in the tires when pulling the 5th wheel trailer. Everything is very stable.

My primary reason for trying these tires was the sidewall protection. I pull the trailer off road in the SoCal desert. On previous trucks, I have had several sidewall puntures. On this truck, I lost one of the original Firestones. The profile/construction of the Silent Armor tire seems to make them less susceptible to sidewall punctures. We will see if this plays out in the real world. So far, so good.

This is the first time (in many years) that I have not replaced OEM tires with Michelin's (on both the cars and trucks that I own). I had developed a lot of confidence in the Michelin brand (and still do have a very high regard for their products). I had never been really impressed with the Goodyear Wrangler in general. This seemed like a new attempt by Goodyear to improve a product. Thought I would give them a try (for the reason mentioned above)

I was trying to find some other posts that people had made on the forum last spring with regard to these tires. There was some information in them that was interesting. I cannot seem to locate those posts right this moment.

DA BIG ONE
09-28-2006, 01:27
Any late breaking, or?

BozDMAX
09-30-2006, 18:49
Maverick said "That being said, I've seen and heard of some Goodyear tire uses run stooopid long. That's the exception, not the rule."

I am one of those that got an amazing number of miles on my stock Wrangler A/Ts - 89K and I could have gone a couple thousand more but we were hitting the road again with the RV and I wanted fresh rubber.

I replaced them last year with the same thing and have about 26K on the new set, rotating on schedule, but can already see I won't get another 89K out of this set.

I must be pretty easy on a truck though - I have 115K on the original brakes and no sign of needing replacement. It's not how far you drive - it's how often you stop!

crafty
10-19-2006, 04:59
I just had the Wranglers installed on my truck two weeks ago. They replaced the OEM Firestones which had just over 70,000 miles on them. All four tires were run down to the wear bars. I rotate every 10,000 kms.
I had the alignment checked when the tires were put on and it was still right on even after 3 years of driving since the last alignment was done.
I have had the old style wranglers on my other truck and I had great service from them. I have no reason to think these new ones will be any different. I have always got at least 100,000 kms out of my tires and I hope to do the same with these. Like previous posts say, these tires are as quiet or more so that the OEM and so far they handle great, both on and off road, with and without the trailer attached.
I paid $220 a piece, balanced and installed with a lifetime balance and road hazard. They are 245's. So far they are just great. You couldn't go wrong if you bought these. At least that is my opinion.:D :D :D

DA BIG ONE
10-19-2006, 13:42
I paid $220 a piece, balanced and installed with a lifetime balance and road hazard. They are 245's. So far they are just great. You couldn't go wrong if you bought these. At least that is my opinion.:D :D :D

$220. wayyyyyyyy too much $$$, I shop TIRE RACK, 285/75/16 silent armor $168. each, WalMart mount and balance $12.50.

I had to replace one on the road, the GoodYear store price was $300. mounted and balanced, but they forgot to kiss me. Call me old fashioned, but I like getting kissed when I'm getting screwed even when I'm dressed.

paoutdoorsman
10-19-2006, 18:09
Big One I noticed crafty is in Canada, so converted to US $$$ is only about $190...

DA BIG ONE
10-20-2006, 08:34
Big One I noticed crafty is in Canada, so converted to US $$$ is only about $190...

Well, I missed that Canada part so not too bad on his price, but I was still screwed w/my $300. USD tire that I needed in a pinch......

crafty
10-23-2006, 05:09
DA BIG ONE

Yes that $220 was Canadian. They were bought on sale too. The list price was $280 so I guess compared to that $300 US price you had to pay I got a real good deal. The tire store I deal with has been around for over 30 years and I have dealt with them all along. They will do what ever it takes to help me out if I have a problem so I don't mind supporting him either. I don't shop for tires anywhere else.:D :D :D

DA BIG ONE
10-23-2006, 14:04
DA BIG ONE

Yes that $220 was Canadian. They were bought on sale too. The list price was $280 so I guess compared to that $300 US price you had to pay I got a real good deal. The tire store I deal with has been around for over 30 years and I have dealt with them all along. They will do what ever it takes to help me out if I have a problem so I don't mind supporting him either. I don't shop for tires anywhere else.:D :D :D

I'm right smack in the middle of the automotive scam artists heaven "PALM BEACH FLORIDA". Too bad there are some Good Year stores that make people want to go elsewhere and other brands because of the unreasonable price swing of their products.............

up@12
11-08-2006, 11:44
Michilen ltx a/t 265/75/16 isn't a E range but I have pulled my skid-steer and 24' haul-mark and all kinds of other stuff and have gottin 100,000km plus out of the tires

HI5-O
12-01-2006, 14:25
Had to have one tire replaced as it could not be balanced (required over 18 oz of weight). So got another one from the tire shop and that one was even worse. On the third tire, it came out good but almost at the limit of being too much out-of-round.

Like the tread design, it's quiet and has good traction.

ba

DA BIG ONE
12-02-2006, 03:35
Had to have one tire replaced as it could not be balanced (required over 18 oz of weight). So got another one from the tire shop and that one was even worse. On the third tire, it came out good but almost at the limit of being too much out-of-round.

Like the tread design, it's quiet and has good traction.

ba

I've seen this on many tire brands these days,,,,,,,,,

rat4go
02-02-2009, 11:30
OK, I know this thread is a dinosaur, but I figured I'd bump it to see if anyone else has any experience with the GY SilentArmor tires which were the subject of the orig post (and to prove that I know how to use the search function! :-D ). My brother in law is shopping for tires and these are on his list. In this day and age, I have to give him credit....he's looking for something made in the US by a company HQ'd in the US.

THX!

MacDR50
02-02-2009, 17:49
I up-sized my tires when I bought the truck new. I went from the LT245/75R16 to the LT265/75R16. I had the choice of Wrangler Silent Armour or Dunlop Radial Rover RT. I chose the Dunlops because they were reported as more comfortable and quieter. The GY's were also about $C60 more. Both had similar wear and traction performance. Like others, I run the front at 60 PSI and the back at 65 when light. My trucks odometer etc was adjusted for the larger diameter tires.

Here is where I got my information on each tire.

http://www.1010tires.com/tires.asp

I got the tires from the local GY franchise and make no personal endoresment of 1010tires.