PDA

View Full Version : Truck won't start!!!

BigDiesel
08-04-2004, 15:19
My truck was having problems stalling, missing, and not starting. I wanted to extend my pmd harness to the front of the truck. So I took the intake off and extended my brand new harness. While @ it I pulled and cleaned the grounds on the batteries, truck frame, etc. My PMD is only a few months old and I tried my spare one as well. The lift pump has lots of flow and is registering 5 psi.
I had disconnected the batt's for the few days I had everything apart. The first time I started the truck it fired right up and ran great for 7-8 mins. I shut it down due to a leak in the cooling system, and upon restarting, it ran for about 10 seconds then died. Now it won't start at all. It does not set any codes, and when I tried cracking an injector nothing came out. I'm starting to think I'm in need of a new IP or maybe a fuel shutoff solenoid. Any ideas?
Tahoeless in Alberta

Marty Lau
08-06-2004, 09:04
I wouldn't think the IP would just up and die in one fell swoop like that. I would double check all the conections for the grounds and make sure you didn't have a wire break or something. If you have air in the line crack the injectors on the driver side and the front on the passenger side and crank the engine for about 30 seconds and tighten them up and try again. Just a thought.

Phil Holmen
08-06-2004, 11:23
Big Diesel, if you really think that it might me the fuel solenoid I have a spare I could send you to try. Does the truck try to start at all or does it just turn over?? Have you checked and verified that your glowplugs are working??

BigDiesel
08-07-2004, 15:11
Hey guys. I cracked the #1 injector while cranking and nothing came out. The truck doesn't even attemp to start. It just turns over. I didn't check the glow plugs as it was + 30C the day I was trouble shooting and my truck is jet black.(kind of a natural glow plug system)
Thanks for the offer of the solenoid. I've got a friend(mechanic) with a Snap On 2500 scanner coming over in the next few days. I should know more then.
Dave

ttpost
08-08-2004, 09:26
my truck did the same thing, had fuel to the shutoff solenoid but nothing to the injectors. turned out it wasnt getting a signal from the computer. my case was a faulty computer ( actually three, original and two faulty replacements). i would check the harness connections at the rear of the engine, and also check to see if you are getting power to the fuel shut off solenoid. good luck

BigDiesel
08-08-2004, 19:25
I'm assuming that the top of the fuel shutoff solenoid is magnetic when energized? I can't find my multimeter right now to check. I had my wife crank the truck over while I cracked #1 injector and after a while(20-30 seconds) it started up and stayed running. I proceeded to do #3,5,7, and #2 as they were easy to get at and she was purring like a kitten. Left it running while I put my tools away(5 mins), and went inside to wash my hands while my wife was backing out of the driveway. Get up to the kitchen sink and can't hear the truck anymore. As soon as my wife put it in reverse and took her foot of the brake she died.(the truck not my wife;) )
Go through bleeding @ #1 again, but this time it will barely start and runs rough for a few seconds before dying. Cannot get it running again.
One thing I do notice however, is when cracking the injectors, #1 has a lot of air bubbles in the exiting diesel and does not shoot out like the rest of the injectors I cracked. How much air can be trapped in there? I will try to find my clear tubing to replace the neoprene line on the injector return tommorow.
Choked AND Tahoeless in Alberta
Dave

jard
08-11-2004, 02:22
I had the same problem with my 1994 and it turned out to be a wire coming from the fuel cutoff was grounded at times where it routs back to the wiring harness.

1994 k2500,heith max2.0 remote fsd ,exhaust upgrade, turbo max.