PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Additives

Doug Thom
03-01-2006, 20:46
I haven't seen anything on the Diesel Page concerning diesel fuel additives. I'm curious as to how many people here on the forum use fuel additives and what the advantages are.
regards
Doug

Tough Guy
03-01-2006, 23:02
Welcome to the Page!

I use Power Service additive with every fill-up in both my 6.5L and 7.3L I use the additive for its lubricity, cleaning and Cetane boosting properties. I notice a smoother idle and increased fuel mileage.

Chris

Dvldog8793
03-02-2006, 04:47
Howdy
I use a mix of Powerservice white bottle, FPPF cetane boost and sythetic 2 stroke oil. I NOTICE less smoke, better starts, and smoother running especially in winter. I like to THINK that I get better mileage and power and also help the lubricity. This year in MN we have a mandatory2% bio diesel. This should help lubricity so I'll probably stop the two stroke oil, but the bio seems to be gelling preety bad so I might increase the power service. I normaly don't buy winter blend fuel, I mix my own at the truck stop.
L8r
Conley

HANK1948
03-02-2006, 07:33
I have been using Amsoil Diesel Fuel Modifier for the anti-gelling, lubrication, and cleaning properties. I also have added the Amsoil Cetane Boost additive as well but not in every tank. My most noticeable attribute is little to no smoke upon start-up in the cold on my 18:1 '95. I have logged every tank of fuel with notes on the type of driving and the mileage increase is not necessarily note worthy but it is a consistent 0.5-1.0 mpg. I mainly use them for peace of mind with the anti-gelling in the winter and the increase of over all performance.

Kennedy
03-02-2006, 09:00
My preference is an emulsifying additive like FPPF Total Power or Primrose. I use the FPPF product in all of my diesel. Primrose is my second choice, followed by Stanadyne (not an emulsifier and VERY ineffective with water) is my next choice.

My current strategy is to fill my 550 gallon storage tank with Amoco Premier #2 NON winterized diesel and treat double strength with Total Power. I also have 30 gallons of B100 in this batch. Recently I sat a cup of fuel out at -20

HowieE
03-02-2006, 11:05
I have used Stanadyne Blue for 130,000 of the 160,000 miles on the truck and NEVER removed a drop of water from the filter. Still the original pump. Having had water show up in my old 6.2 about every other month or so and still using the same sources for fuel I questioned if Stanadyne had an emulsifier. I called them and they said there was an emulsifier in the additive. If that is the case I am not sure why they don

gvt
03-02-2006, 11:58
Doug,
I'll second Kennedy's recommendation for the FPPF. I've been using here in Minnesota for the last few years with no problems. I have a secondary fuel filter that is not heated and I've never had problems with gelling. Good stuff!!

DaveNY
03-02-2006, 20:10
Stanadyne blue and a qt of cheap 30 wt every tank. Also have used the standyne with home heating oil with good results in suburban and twin 3208s in the boat.Seems to bump the cetane a little.

Doug Thom
03-02-2006, 20:35
Thanks Dave and to all of you for the terrific info. I will be trying some of the suggestions you've given me.
Regards
Doug

Philsky
03-03-2006, 14:04
I have used all the Additives as well, but when the GM mechanic replaced my Injection pump he told me to stop using what ever I was pouring in the tank because it was clouding my fuel up. I was using PowerService aditive. They told me to use the Stanadyne additive. SO I did, then one day at my Local truck store I saw a counter display of all of the additives in fuel and how the mixed or didn't mix and clouded up the fuel. This Display was for RBP diesel performance, I am pretty happy with it. :)

But then again I live in Sunny Southern California, so I don't worry about freezing except when I go snow boarding.

Phil

Doug Thom
03-03-2006, 18:30
Thanks Phil for your comments. Very interesting- I haven't heard of that additive but am going to look into it. I presently have one called POWER + (plus) which you only add one ounce to about 80 liters, about 18 gals of fuel.
Doug

JoeyD
03-03-2006, 18:38
I have been running Synergin 20+ for a few years now and run it in every tank.