PDA

View Full Version : another stalling problem

CJ_4
03-02-2006, 18:13
i have a 1997 6.5TD k1500. it runs fine all the time, except after i run it for an extended period of time. after it runs for a while, normally over an hour or so, or keeping it cruising at about 60 mph, it stalls. when it stalls, i put in neutral, and it starts right back up everytime. the fuel lift pump seems to check out, but i dont have a tool to check the fuel pressure. it has done this for a while, but i dont have much of a problem with it since i dont normally let it run long enough for the trouble to start. the check engine light came on a while back, stay a day or two, then went out. it came back on about a week ago. i took it to auto zone and they said it was a code P0401, egr flow insufficient. could this be my problem? also, could my intake manifold be really sooted up and causing the code, which could also cause my brief stalling problem?

More Power
03-02-2006, 22:01
You could have an EGR issue going on simultaneously with a separate stalling problem.

Try the search feature.... The very best 6.5 info available on the internet is right here.....:D

Jim

ronniejoe
03-03-2006, 05:47
Be sure to check out this thread (http://thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=2938) for much info on stalling.

CJ_4
03-03-2006, 17:38
You could have an EGR issue going on simultaneously with a separate stalling problem.

Try the search feature.... The very best 6.5 info available on the internet is right here.....:D

Jim
would just taking the intake manifold off and cleaning it help the egr problem?

CJ_4
03-06-2006, 18:11
i just got my oil filter changed and the egr valve cleaned. so far so good, but i haven't had a chance to really test it yet

More Power
03-06-2006, 19:53
The PCM uses the MAF (Mass AirFlow) sensor to help it determine EGR flow. This is the biggest reason why the 1996+ EGR systems are not easily defeated (and probably shouldn't be). The sensor is located in the air inlet duct between the air box and the turbo. You might want to check it. Over oiling an aftermarket air filter can result in an oil film on the sensor, which affects its operation. A little brake cleaner spray will return an oily sensor to normal operation.

In the worst cases, some owners have had to remove their intake manifold, then powerwash it to get all of the soot out.... It can really build up to gross levels.... I don't remember anyone mentioning a sooted up intake as being a cause of an EGR code.... Consider it a maintenance item to help improve performance or fuel economy (engine efficiency).

Jim

CJ_4
03-08-2006, 18:20
thanks MP. i'm not sure what caused the egr code, but after i got the egr valve cleaned the light went out, then came back on bout a day later. i wouldn't know how i could have and oily MAF sensor sense my intake is still stock :( . hopefullly it i will be able change that in the near future. but neways, back to the egr problem, the valve was pretty dirty, but i think i need to just replace the sensor b/c i'm thinking the sensor is bad.