PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a good trailer

Beedee
03-03-2006, 22:38
Looking for some information about a nice trailer.
My wife and I have been talking about getting a trailer for several years.
We have been looking around the RV lots for a couple of years and have come to the conclusion that we like the Nash 25S.
Question #1
Anybody have any experience with Nash.
Question #2
Does anyone have a 25S and what do they think of it
I'll take any information, good or bad.
Question#3
At 7200 lbs GVWR how will the good old 6.5 drag it around.
When I bought my truck, the guy before me speced it to pull a 5th.
Thanks in advance
Brian

HowieE
03-04-2006, 07:07
Don't know the Nash but at 7,000 lbs yor truck will tow it but will know it in the hills.
To protect yur truck you should consider putting in an exhaust temperature guage as a first. Beyond that I would suggest upsizing the exhaust, a trans cooler, I bypass the trans lines from the radiator altogeather when installing a cooler. If your going to do a lot of towing then look into an intercooler. I assume the truck has a 373 rear or better.

jspringator
03-04-2006, 07:18
Nash is one of the superior brands. They make the Arctic Fox and Desert Fox. You will need guages (boost and Pyro) and a boost controller. An exhaust clean up or replacement would be nice too. That weight is about right with these trucks. Mine is too heavy, despite my mods.

OC_DMAX
03-04-2006, 10:53
Nash builds upper mid-tier travel trailers. They have an excellent reputation and are consistently rated good by rv consumer groups. A family owned operation rather than a large corporation. I almost bought a Artic Fox 25N fifth wheel, but a friend was selling his RV for a price I could not pass-up.

Here are a couple of links to explore:

Nash / Artic Fox Forum:

http://www.afnash.com/

A general RV Forum:

http://www.rv.net/

Alan

BozDMAX
03-06-2006, 17:49
Before we got real serious about buying, I joined RV Consumers Group (www.rv.org) and read their book "How to Select, Inspect, and Buy an RV" and it kept me from making some pretty big mistakes - and helped me save about 10K to boot. And I bought the RV I needed, which is probably more important.

As I recall, they rate the Nash/Artic Fox lines pretty high.

chipper
03-06-2006, 18:54
If I didn't know anything about rv's, I wouldn't even consider buying one without buying the RV Consumers book. There is a LOT of junk out there & some of them look pretty good.

Beedee
03-07-2006, 11:11
Thanks for all the replies (spelling???)
They have given me food for thought.
HowieE; Yes I have 410 gearing, Lots of mods I want to do. I have a used Intercooler that I can cut down and re work to fit. I have a friend who owns a radiator shop, I did a couple of jobs for him and payment will be a new, custom built rad that will cool like no tommorow, so I'll leave the trans cooler in the rad.
Howie and James; Exhaust mods will happen, but they will have to wait for a while, the good news is because it is a Canadian truck there isn't a cat to restrict the flow and the cross over pipe isn't one of the crinckled ones.
For the first few years we are not going to be going that far from home, so mabey one or two mountain passes and I'm the type of guy who can pull over into the slow lane, gear down and enjoy the secenery ;)
OC_DMAX; Hey great links, joined the afnash allready, just like the DP, good people over there.
BozDMAX; Another cool link. I'll definitely be checking that one.

Tsckey
03-18-2006, 05:42
I would think your truck could handle the load okay. Northwood, which builds both Nash and Arctic Fox, makes excellent trailers. Nashes are a bit lighter, because aluminum sides are standard, vs. filon, and they have a shorter list of standard equipment than Foxes. They are built just as well, however. Our AF has been terrific.

TC

Mr. D
03-18-2006, 09:55
I would echo Tsckey's comments on Northwood's Trailers. Excellent product with great friendly support!

Here's the closest dealer to the factory!

http://www.thunderrv.com/

Great family owned business that beat everybody's price. The owners were super nice people! I drove up there and picked one up!

Beedee
03-20-2006, 10:15
Have been to the dealer to have another look. They have a 2005 235-A Arctic fox on sale for a heck of a price.
I wasn't going to look at the foxes because of the price, but it is a nice unit and it is on sale for the same price as the 25S, and it is a 5th wheel instead of a wig wag. It does weigh quite a bit more, 5520 dry compared to 4007 of the 25s and 10000gvwr compared to 7400 soooooo????????
My Brain Hurts ;)
Brian