PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for tire inflation

DmaxProf
03-04-2006, 20:01
My wife and I tow our 5th wheel to Colordo for fly fishing in the mountains. I inflate the truck tires to the max for towing. Once we arrive in the mountains, we need to take some really rough, rocky trails to get to the trout streams. I want to deflate the truck tires to keep the ride a little more comfortable and to attempt to decrease the chance of ruining a tire on the rocks.

Anyone have any suggestions for how I can inflate the tires once I get back to camp. The battery powered compressors have a difficult time pumping the 6 tires up to 80 psi. I have a generator so I could use an electric compressor, but I want something that is not too large or too heavy. I am already hauling more weight than I really want to.

The nearest town is farther than I care to drive at highway speeds with under inflated tires.

Thanks for any suggestions.

RdTxTd
03-04-2006, 21:04
I've got a Charge Air portable 110v compressor (no tank) 3/4HP that I use at home and take on long trips. It's maybe 5 lbs and about 12" x 10" x 6" so you should be able to tuck it away somewhere out of the way while travelling. I'm not sure, but I think I got it at Sears.

Dave

DmaxMaverick
03-05-2006, 01:41
I carry a Black & Decker "Air Station" everywhere I go. I've had it for nearly 10 years, and it still works. I've replaced the hose a couple times, and finally a couple years ago, installed a 20' 1/4" coil hose, with a metal "keeper" chuck. It will handle ~10 PSI to 65+ on all fours in about 15 minutes (coming off the dunes). They still make the thing, and it looks the same as the one I bought years ago, but I don't remember where I saw it last. It's about the same size as the 12V worthless compressors, but is 110V. I use a 400W inverter to power it when 110V isn't available.

Work good....Last long time....

HowieE
03-05-2006, 07:35
A slightly different look at the question.
Most trailer tires are over inflated by definition. People have a habit of inflating tire to the rated max and not to the load they are carrying. This approach may be the only one for a flat or cargo trailer that carries a varied load. With a camper trailer whose load is almost constant the tire should be inflated as per manufactures recommendations. Each manufacture has a chart for inflation of the tire per load. Tires inflated per a manufacture

Kennedy
03-05-2006, 08:43
I compressor as used for an air bag system or exhaust brake will be a bit slow, but will do the job well with a little configuring...

tanker
03-05-2006, 17:09
I have a 12-volt air compressor that I had installed on my 95 Suburban, it was for the air operated "OnSpot" automatic tire chains I had, and also for my air bags. I installed an air tank from a semi trailer for storage. I carried a 50' length of air hose for inflating tires. It helped "Howie" above when he had a flat in Indiana a few years back, and also "Dr. Lee" at the 2001 Rendezvous in Ohio. I must get it installed on my 05, as it came in very handy many times.
Go for the 12-volt air compressor with a tank and you should be fine for upping the air pressure after you lowered the pressure.
I would also do as Howie mentioned above. Weigh your rig loaded on a "Cat" scale at a truckstop, then you will have actual axle weights, then get an inflation chart from tire manufacturers, and inflate to the proper inflation.

DmaxProf
03-07-2006, 07:48
Thanks for the suggestions. I have ruined more than one tire on sharp rocks on those mountain trails. I assume if I reduce the tire pressure on the truck that I might help prevent such problems plus get a better ride in the process.

Inspector
03-07-2006, 12:59
Dmaxprof:
I have a compresssor that I bought from Sears that has a single two gal. tank that has a max press of 125psi. I carry is in my fiver all the time just for the reasons you state. It will inflate my tires easily to 85lbs on the trailer and is very light and doesn't take up much space. There are similar compressors at Lowes, Home Depot and at some auto parts stores. They are very inexpensive as well.

As for releasing air from tires for ride affect, yes they will ride better but you take a chance of damageing the tire on sharp objects as well as causing the tire temps to go up and chancing a blow out. You should strictly adhear to the manufactures recommendations as to tire pressures and care.
Denny

DmaxProf
03-07-2006, 13:43
Inspector, I appreciate the info about your compressor. I had wondered if a compressor with a 2 gal. tank would do the job. Thanks.

By the way, am I on the right track here or do I need to rethink my approach? When towing, I increase the truck tires to 80 psi. (My fiver weighs about 12K, actual weight measured.) My plan once I reach the campground is to deflate them to my normal settings of 70 in the front and 65 on the duals. I thought this might help keep from cutting the tires on sharp rocks as well as give a more comfortable ride on rough trails. Should I just leave the tires at the higher pressures?

Thanks for all the food for thought so far.

HowieE
03-07-2006, 14:40
My rig weighs a total of 16,400 lbs. After weighing the truck axles independently, with the trailer attached and the distributing hitch set up to load the front axle with about 175 lbs, I carry 45 lbs in the front and 55 lbs in the rear as per the Michelin chart even though GM calls for 80 lbs on a 3/4 ton Sub.

Check the chart of your tire manufacture.

JoeyD
03-07-2006, 18:07
Airing the tires down on a trail is a good idea as it will protect the tires some. I was thinking 30lbs though and in the rear 20lbs seeing it's a dually. If you only air down to 70 and 65 don't even bother. At those pressures the tire will not conform to anything

Inspector
03-07-2006, 22:49
Joey D:
I can't speak to tire inflation adjustments after arrival at given place. I set my tire pressures and leave them alone. I have a duelly as well and usually go with 60 front and 60 in the back 4 all is highway driving. I get extremly good tire wear. I think you will find that with a softer tire it is very likely that you will sustain tire damage verses a harder tire. A softer tire will expose the side walls to those sharp rocks that you talk about. Is your fiver 12K loaded for the road? My trailer is 12.5K curb and I usually load it to around 14K. Pots and pans, food, linens, salt and pepper, those kinds of things. Don't forget the compressor, lawn chairs spare parts, hoses and sewer items. There are always things that you don't realize are in a cupboard that add to the weight. I have been over the scales with half a tank of fuel, the wife and dog at 21,650. I am cutting it close but just within limits. These trucks will haul alot more than that, but is it safe. You should always keep in mind the limits set by the manufacturers of the truck, trailer and tires.
Back to tire pressures, I wouldn't mess around to much with that. Figure what you need and stick to it. Safty first.
On edit I see that your truck is a 98 6.5. In my opinion you are pushing the limits. My old 93 was a 5 speed with a gearvendor and handled my fiver pretty well but I knew that I was at the top of the limits with it. Just the same it did ok but just ok. I don't think I could have ask anymore from that good ol truck. My son just returned from a round trip to Arizona with it and it performed as it always has without a worry.
All I can say is that safty should be the most important part of any trip if you want a satisfying experience. That starts with pre-trip preperation. I am probably preaching to the choir but many here know how I feel about safty.
Sorry for the lenght of this post.
Denny

earniem
03-09-2006, 21:05
Several years ago I had a dually with air bags. I got a Firstone 12volt air compressor and a 1 gal tank and mounted it to the frame . It will go to 150# and works great. Runs air horn and mountain master air hitch and has a 20' air hose. They are pricey but worth it.

Mr. D
03-22-2006, 03:08
[QUOTE=HowieE]A slightly different look at the question.
Most trailer tires are over inflated by definition. People have a habit of inflating tire to the rated max and not to the load they are carrying. This approach may be the only one for a flat or cargo trailer that carries a varied load. With a camper trailer whose load is almost constant the tire should be inflated as per manufactures recommendations. Each manufacture has a chart for inflation of the tire per load. Tires inflated per a manufacture

DmaxMad
03-22-2006, 12:15
In the offroad world Power Tanks filled with c02 are used frequently to inflate tire and run air tool. They work very well.

http://www.powertank.com/

DmaxProf
03-23-2006, 20:22
My rig weighs a total of 16,400 lbs. After weighing the truck axles independently, with the trailer attached and the distributing hitch set up to load the front axle with about 175 lbs, I carry 45 lbs in the front and 55 lbs in the rear as per the Michelin chart even though GM calls for 80 lbs on a 3/4 ton Sub.

Check the chart of your tire manufacture.

HowieE, is it possible to obtain the manufacturer's tire chart online? I have Goodyear tires, but there is not a dealer within 30 miles.

HowieE
03-24-2006, 13:16
I have found Michein information on the web. I would seach on a given manufacture and if it is not displayed on the web I would call thier customer service number and ask.

Another approach, a book,Trailer Life's RX for RV Performance and Milage has tire pressure charts by tire size. But I would try for the manufactures numbers first, thing may have changed since that 1986 publication.

DmaxProf
03-24-2006, 20:43
Thanks, HowieE, I'll give it a try.

garre1tt
03-27-2006, 00:50
Howie,
I have been having fits trying to figure out what tire pressure to run in my rigs.
so far I have been runing them at about 65 w/no trailer. I check them by checking the footprint in a dusty parking lot. If the coverage is over the whole tire side to side I figure I am good.
I have been getting alot of feathering on the front tires on the back side of the tread.
Is this to much or to little air pressure.
I have stock 245 on the truck and 265 on the suburban.
any help is great
Michael D

HowieE
03-27-2006, 09:45
Not sure I have the expertise to comment on the ware pattern problem. I would look up a good tire shop, someone who has been around a while not a franchise with high school kids, and ask them.
I think you are a little high on the pressure for your truck.. What I do is go to a scale, with the trailer on, and weigh the front axle and then both axles of the truck and use the manufactures chart to set the pressure using those axle weights. I use that pressure for the truck all the time since I do not use the truck that often without the trailer.
Something I have observed. The 1500 trucks are rough on front tires, rolling the outside edge off in no time. My 2500 has never shown any ware pattern on the front axle. My guess is the inclination angle as set by GM is wrong on those trucks and I have never found an alignment shop that even knows what the inclination angle is let alone how to set it

Inspector
03-27-2006, 16:14
Howie:
The adjustments are -toe in, toe out, caster and camber. When you refer to inclination are you refering to caster or camber?
Denny

garre1tt
03-28-2006, 00:50
Thanks Howie,
I need to get in contact with the manufacturer and get their specs. I have access to a scale and dial it in.
I will agree that the 1500 is harder on the tires. My 1500 that thank goodness I finally sold last week went threw tires real fast.
It is amazing how much a family of seven and luggage weights. I have been destroying tires back to when we could still fit in a mini van.
Michael D

garre1tt
03-28-2006, 00:51
Inspector,
Drove threw you area last week. Real pretty this time of year.
Michael D