PDA

View Full Version : Injector Change?

Doug Thom
03-05-2006, 08:53
As I'm only into little more than the basics of servicing my own diesel, I have noticed with some of the postings on this forum that some of you have discussed changing of the injectors. My question is: Is there a point in time that changing the injectors is routine maintenance? As an example I have about 248000 Km's on my 95 and have never had the injectors serviced at all. I do however use a fuel additive that supposedly keeps the injectors etc. clean. I am not experiencing anything different with this engine now as opposed to when it had only 100000 km's on it. I get about (best) 20 miles to the gal in summer and that is mainly highway miles as opposed to city driving. Thanks for any input!
Regards
Doug

Hubert
03-06-2006, 08:56
Nothing lasts forever. From a few posts: Injectors kind of wear out slowly. They can work for a long long time but performance drops off enough to notice an improvement with replacement after 80,000-120,000 miles (128,700-193,100 KM). But again they will function OK for a long time after that.

Cleanliness and lubricity of fuel effects life. I think its mainly the nozzle of the injector that actually wears and the spray pattern or fine atomization of fuel is what declines over time.