PDA

View Full Version : LLY VIN request

56pan
03-06-2006, 01:32
I've got a '93 3/4 ton with the 6.5 Turbodiesel that I've been very happy with, but it's getting long in the tooth. 214,000 miles. I'm shopping around for a '04 or '05 with the LLY engine. Was wondering if anyone knew what the break is in the VIN no. to assure that a vehicle advertised has the LLY engine? Thanks for any help. I'd like to have a truck with the ZF six speed manual trans, also, and would appreciate any input from people who have this trans. concerning any problems they've been having. Thanks very much for any input.

DmaxMaverick
03-06-2006, 01:54
Welcome to the Forums!

You don't need the vin breaks. The 8th digit of the vin indicates the engine. The LB7 (01-04.5) is a 1. The LLY is a 2, IIRC.

Kennedy
03-06-2006, 06:51
The ZF has been good, but the dual mass flywheel has been problematic, especially for those who tow or add even a very mild amount of power. This is whay the power was held back on the manuals.

56pan
03-06-2006, 20:34
Thanks to both of you fellows. This is the information I was looking for. I'm not averse to dropping a trans. and changing out a clutch and pressure plate. Are there any aftermarket companies offering a stronger clutch for the manual trans. that will handle engine power upgrades? If this information has been posted here previously, I've missed it as I'm resubscribing after about 5 yrs. away from the website.