PDA

View Full Version : What else when replacing motor?

NIECO
03-07-2006, 17:52
Can anyone offer advice on what other parts should be replaced when replacing a motor. Some one told me that I should change radiator.
I would appreciate your suggestions, dont want to have any problems with the new motor.
Thanks.

redbird2
03-07-2006, 22:24
Replacing radiator is not a bad idea , I normally just take them to radiator shop have them checked out I've used the same shop for 15 years I trust him I either get back a tested good unit or a new unit when they drop them back off.
items to replace water pump, belt, thermostats, glow plugs, fuel return lines, and fuel line caps at end injectors, rubber fuel lines under intake. make sure to check flywheel teeth really closely. also check the motor mount rubber. ground strap to cab on back of right head can cause nightmare down the road if it fails if you don't replace make sure to clean connection really good and make sure tight when you reinstall. also check the rubber damper for the lower belt pulley on front of engine if it shows any signs of cracks replace it that goes for the balancer as well.

Hubert
03-08-2006, 05:36
Look for any heat damaged wiring and beef up heat insulation to wires and hoses near exhaust, especially near turbo, and on firewall. On some wires near my starter the plastic loom was melted.

Clean up and inspect the crossover pipe. Some crude will come off the inside as it gets handled and stored around the shop while working on truck and you don't want the turbo to digest the crap when reinstalled. New bolts and or antisieze.

NIECO
03-08-2006, 17:27
Thanks guys , looks like an extra few dollars to invest.

Dvldog8793
03-08-2006, 18:46
Howdy
Things I did....
check/clean radiator
NEW water pump
ALL new hoses and anything that was rubber including the always leaking turbo oil return hose. All the hoses were replaced with Goodyear silicon, except the top Rad hose. That was double wall Stainless braide
New motor mounts
If I took out a bolt that was deemed a stressed item then it got a new bolt
While the engine was out I degreesed and preasure washed the engine bay.
Fix your oil cooler lines so they don't leak
Plan on replaceing the o-ring connectors for the heater line
If you had a catastrophic failure ( metal chunks in the oil etc...) then REPLACE the oil cooler. VERY HARD to get them flushed clear.
If you are removing the trans also then also check the electrical connection on the trans.
PLUS all the things everyone else mentioned. It's all WAY easier to do with no engine in, if you have the time and funds. I was lucky that I had back up vehicle so I had plenty of time...
Hope this helps
L8r
Conley