PDA

View Full Version : valve lifters

kenisret
03-08-2006, 20:46
This question is for anyone that has been inside their engine.Are the lifters easy to remove or does it require the use of a lifter rem. tool? I am going to be inst.a new hi-po cam and was wondering if I will need the tool

BobND
03-08-2006, 21:44
The only time ANY common engine's lifters are hard to pull is if the engine has been pooly maintained, and there is varnish on the lifters.

On a typical 6.5 or 6.2, they will fall out if the block is inverted.

john8662
03-09-2006, 08:55
No tool required. I actually purchased a lifter removal tool in preparation for removing lifters out of an engine still installed in the truck and with the heads installed. It was of no use, but came in handy for a friend doing a SBC 350. Bob's right, they will slide right out if the engine is not gummed up, just use a magnet to help ya yank them out. Just remove the retainers and guides, because these are roller lifters.

Are you removing these with the heads on?

JohnC
03-09-2006, 10:18
just use a magnet to help ya yank them out.

Hmm, same info in two adjacent threads...

I have always been under the impression that use of a magnet on a hydraulic lifter was a bad idea since magnetizing the lifter was a good way to make it fail at an early age.

Balderdash?

john8662
03-09-2006, 12:00
JohnC,

I don't buy the false statement that using a magnet to remove lifters will magnetize them leading to early failure.

When you pickup a piece of iron with a magnet (say a 3/8" bolt) and remove it, does it stay magnetized indefinitely?

I do beg for your forgiveness for posting relevant information in this thread that I had already posted in another thread. I had thought of linking this thread to the engine knock thread, but didn't. I'm sure I could have also searched and found an older discussion (mine or others) about lifters...

I'm out of time for this...

tommac95
03-11-2006, 15:50
lifters should be replaced in same bore and orientation if not renewed