PDA

View Full Version : how can I tell?

signgrafix
03-09-2006, 22:33
I just purchased a 94 6.5 turbo diesel 4WD extended cab. The truck is supposed to have a factory replacement engine in it. It was suppose to have been installed within the last 3 to 4 years.
Now the question, actually two questions.
1. Is it possible that this engine already has the dual thermostat water pump system? (97 & later water pump) what does it look like? whatr do I look for?
2. Where can I find the engine block numbers that will tell me what year engine it is?

Hubert
03-10-2006, 05:24
1) The new double thermostat water housing looks like it holds (2) thermostats. and sits towards the front driverside forward of the IP and left of the AC compressor on my 97.

It would depend on if they upgraded the bolt on stuff to a long block replacement if you got it.

You can look up the parts and pieces on rockautodotcom here is a pic of the thermo housing. I don't know if the water pump looks different externally.

http://www.rockauto.com/ref/ACDelco/Detail.html?15-1753.jpg

2) I am not sure about block #'s I think the numbers and logo are in the valley of the engine.

You could look at the oil cooler lines for an indicator if its at least a later block. My 97 and earlier one have 1/2" NPT ports and the latest blocks have 5/8's I think.

signgrafix
03-10-2006, 08:07
Thanks for the info. After checking, it looks like I do not have the upgrade. Looks like i will have to purchase one.