PDA

View Full Version : 7-pin plug connection improvement

HammerWerf
03-10-2006, 18:20
Folks,

About 2 years ago, I wired up my Suburban to pull a travel trailer. Since then the plug has sat idle. When I put it together, I just placed the bare ends of the wires under the hold down "washer" that was provided. What I want to do now is to improve the electrical connection, ie: Crimp-on connectors, soldered connectors. and I want to make the wire end as water tight as possible. Looking for suggestions on how to accomplish this task.

The plug I used was an open or not potted plug. It is open to the weather where the wires go into the plug housing.

Thank

HammerWerf

HowieE
03-10-2006, 18:44
As a general rule do not use crimp connectors under the truck. They last only a few years before giving had to find problems.

I always solder the connections in the 7 pin connector, and all other wiring under the truck, once the wires are secured by the set screws. To make the back of the 7 pin connector as water tight as possible I wrap it and the wire with electrical tape and put a tie wrap over the end of the tape as electrical tape will unwind if left alone. This is not the tightest system but it allows you to get into the connection if you do have a problem on the road without dealing with RTV or DumB Dumb. If you can't solder your connections use wire nuts and wrap with electrical tape as noted above. At least if you have a problem opening a wire nut will clearly show you the condition of the connection.

I always insert and remove the male connector from the trailer several times when I hook up. This cleans the connection surfaces on both sides of the connection for a good contact. You will know when it is necessary after the first time you hook up test the lights and have no brakes. Any dirt on the connection will cause a high resistance open circuit to the high current of the brakes circuit.

Inspector
03-10-2006, 23:06
Another help is after your connections are checked and verified and before pulling the backshell over the connector is to fill the shell with dielectric grease. This will keep the connections clean and will keep water out of the connector.
Denny

Roy W
03-11-2006, 08:06
Whenever I have to hook up stranded wire to a set screw or screw and washer combination, I always tin the ends of the wire both to keep them from corroding as well as to hold all the strands together when you tighten the screw/setscrew. The addition of dielectric grease (available at auto parts stores) will also keep the connection corrosion free as mentioned previously.