PDA

View Full Version : Towing while "Slammed"

drag34
03-11-2006, 09:32
Hey everyone just got a 1994 1 Ton Ext. cab Dually Chevy with the 6.5 TD. its been Slammed 7 inches in the rear with a flip kit and 5 inches drop spindle in front. It apears to be a very professionally job as the rear of the frame has been knotched and boxed really nice.
I would like to buy a 36ft enclosed car hauler with a 5th wheel or Gooseneck to tow my drag car.Is there anyone out there that alrrady doing this with a lowered Dually? What kind of problems will I encounter? with installation/towing.
Thanks

tanker
03-11-2006, 14:42
I'm not sure what to say about towing something that big while slammed that low. I'd be concerned about bottoming out. How much is the hitch weight? What is the rating of the suspension now? What is the frames weight rating now that it has been notched? Where will you be towing all this weight? Mountains, flat plains etc. What engine modifications have been done to this truck? Intercooled ? Aux transmission cooler ? Guages? ie: boost and pyrometer. It sounds like more of a show truck than a heavy tow vehicle. A 36' fiver with a heavy load is a lot for a 6.5. (been there and done that)
Post some more information about this rig and I'm sure many can offer you some sound advise.

Inspector
03-12-2006, 00:41
I thought I got a reply to this thread in but apparently not so here goes again.
Every question that Tanker posed should be answered before towing with that truck. The suspension is surely not up to the task of a heavy fiver and the frame rework is certainly in question. In its present condition in my opinion, it wouldn't be safe to tow with that truck. Gives us some pics of the rework to the truck. It would be interesting to see what it looks like.
Denny

drag34
03-12-2006, 05:58
Sure, I'll try to get some pictures.
I't will take some reasearch to get answers to some of these questions

I have called DJM Suspension systems (they sell the lowering kits) and they claim with Air bags its no big deal and the 1 Ton's are in his words "overbuilt" and frame notching is done all the time.
I am not satisfiyed with his responce.

The previous owner claims he towed a 32ft tag with it.

Sorry about not responding,I am new at this chatroom stuff.

Thanks

Inspector
03-12-2006, 12:27
drag34:
Welcome to the forum. I feel that you are very competent at what you do and are asking the right questions. I hope that we here can be of help to you. Again welcome to our forum. Your experience will be welcome here.
Denny

Craig M
03-27-2006, 16:55
Frame notching can be good or bad. Some people will add way more material than required to keep the original load capacity. Some do a crappy light weight job (it is not a Honda) that will barely let you drive it around empty. Some welders have enough experience to "design" a system by themselves via seat of the pants engineering. Most dropped and chopped vehicles are for looks and not for maintaining tow capacity. A little supplimental welding (braces, plates etc) might be enough to upgrade a light weight system. Like many things it depends on the details.