PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best oil?

Mike782
03-11-2006, 14:44
I just bought a 98 2500 Silverado with the 6.5L engine, what is the best oil for these motors? I have older Volvo diesel cars and have been using Mobil 1 5w30 in them for years and there has been zero wear in them. I don't think it'd be good to put in the 6.5, so I was thinking about Mobil 1 5w40? Any suggestions/experiences with different oils would be greatly appreciated!
Mike Rausch

Tough Guy
03-11-2006, 14:51
I have used Mobil 1 Delvac 5w-40..its great stuff. Just a touch pricey.

I now use Rotella T synthetic 5w-40 I buy it at Wal-Mart for around $14 a gallon, so far so good. It makes for better cold weather starts and better protection when towing in the hot weather.

Try it, you'll like it.

Chris

Mike782
03-11-2006, 15:00
I have used Mobil 1 Delvac 5w-40..its great stuff. Just a touch pricey.

I now use Rotella T synthetic 5w-40 I buy it at Wal-Mart for around $14 a gallon, so far so good. It makes for better cold weather starts and better protection when towing in the hot weather.

Try it, you'll like it.

Chris
I like the 5w40 Mobil 1 oil, the Rotella synthetic I am not a huge fan of, its not real synthetic. Has a mineral base where the M1 has a ester base. I have not tested it long term in my older Volvos but I may try it in the truck. I just want something that will keep this truck running trouble free for a while :)

Doug Thom
03-11-2006, 18:18
Hi Mike:
I have been using Amsoil 15W-40 for about 3 years now and swear by it! It's a full synthetic.
Regards
Doug

sturgeon-phish
03-11-2006, 19:16
Amsoil 15-40 for me too!

morgan
03-11-2006, 19:58
We need a FAQ area for Newbies. Here comes the "my oil" war.

Welcome Mike. I had a 82 Volvo 265 diesel. 0 to 60 in 1 hour. Still, it had personality. 250,000 miles and still got over 30 mpg. Synthetic oil in all my cars, I don't think brand is really that critical.

Kent
03-12-2006, 17:27
Amsoil 15/40. It is as good as anything out there. You get what you pay for. Gregg can get it to you for around the same money as Mobil.

Mike782
03-12-2006, 17:50
We need a FAQ area for Newbies. Here comes the "my oil" war.

Welcome Mike. I had a 82 Volvo 265 diesel. 0 to 60 in 1 hour. Still, it had personality. 250,000 miles and still got over 30 mpg. Synthetic oil in all my cars, I don't think brand is really that critical.
Thanks!
I love my diesels. I have a few Volvos and my 80 265 still gets close to 40mpg. Thats why I can't bring myself to sell it :-)

Mike782
03-12-2006, 17:52
Amsoil 15/40. It is as good as anything out there. You get what you pay for. Gregg can get it to you for around the same money as Mobil.
Thats what I shall use then! I was going to buy the Rotella T synthetic as I am finding out that Mobil 5w30 (which I use in my Volvos) is not really synthetic anymore. I am not sure how true it is. I know that my Volvos can't take 15w40, it hurts them. My truck on the other hand is a different story. I was planning 15w40 or 5w40 in that.
Next question would be what is a good filter to use? Is the original AC Delco filter OK? What kind of MPG are you guys getting out of a 6.5 with an auto? Mine is a 98 Silverado 2500 4x4 in case I didn't already mention it. Thanks for your help folks!

machoosh
03-12-2006, 18:34
Next question would be what is a good filter to use?

Baldwin Filters

16gaSxS
03-13-2006, 09:48
I for one am getting sick and tired of hearing these arguments about "true" synthetic oils that some are some are not.........ENOUGH. Years ago I asked Dr. If Rotella was a true synthetic or not he told me it was. Now the thread was lost durring "the DP crash" years back. Unless Dr. Lee's opinion has since changed I am sticking with that. I have been told and have looked at some of the Mobil 1 bottles and it WAS NOT Diesel rated. Now the 5w-40 Mobil maybe be but the stuff I looked at about a year ago at Wally World was not. Our engines NEED a "C" rating for compression engine. FACT Rotella Synthetic oil has and exceeds the "C" rating that the GM 6.5TD needs. Fact it is much better than the WORLDS most popular Diesel oil which is Rotella 15w-40 non-synthetic. I believe that Shell PROVED IN COURT that their 5w-40 was infact SYNTHETIC so as far as I'm concerned I don't want to read or hear any mundane GEEK argument about ESTERS and oil studies that make my eyes glaze over. All I know and care about is the Rotella 5w-40 is a high quality oil and is AFFORDABLE for a guy like me who puts it in his truck that doesn't have a bypass oil filter and doesn't do oil analysis, runs it about 3,000 miles and changes the oil and filter. It is also a quality VALUE oil that I can afford to run in all 5 vehicals I have, lawn mowers, pumps, and roto tiller.

If you feel other oils are "bettter" fine use them and buy them. I view it like Religion, your intitled your beliefs you are more than welcome and I encourge you to live your life the way you like. Please allow the same of use too also believe what WE want without trying to prove your belief is the only true one.
I for one will believe Shells bottle and their information. Shell is mainstream not some cult. I do thnk that there are a whole host of fine oils out there including Amsoil, Royal Purple, Delvac, ect. Make your choice please don't down grade mine.

A Shell Rotella SYNTHETIC 5W-40 fan!

moondoggie
03-13-2006, 10:19
Good Day!

Gee, 16ga, you gotta learn to not hold things back - you'll explode from the pressure one day. Go ahead, tell us what you really think. :)

I use Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 in everything I own that isn't 2 stroke. I noticed absolutely no difference in oil consumption - every 6.2/6.5 I've owned uses ~ 1 qt in 2000 miles running no-load, a little more pulling our small trailer (our US Cargo SM625TA2 trailer (looks like the US Cargo SM727TA2 (http://www.uscargo.com/uscargo/products/enclosed/snowmate.asp) [Click in colored text] except it's 25' long instead of 27')).

I use this oil because it says "synthetic" on the label, which in one form or another, I'd bet it is. I don't care if it's not the best synthetic oil in existence, it's bound to be better than non-synthetic oil. I change every 3000 - 5000 miles anyway. I used to be able to get it for $12.84/gallon at Wally's, but they don't carry the gallon bottles anymore, just quarts, at considerably more $. When I was in TX recently, I noticed the Wally's there DID have my oil, at $14-something a gallon, so I scribbled down what I hope are their stock numbers. My local Wally's auto dept. guy is chasing down whether he can order it in for me. (He already knows I'll buy 5 cases or so at a time, so he's willing to do a little chasing for me.)

I'd run Amzoil if I could afford to, but a few years ago I checked &, even if I buy a 55 gallon drum, it was almost $5/qt, & I'm not gonna pay that much, even for the best. I'm convinced that Amzoil started out WAY ahead of everyone in the quality of & technology in their oils, & I think they've maintained that lead.

Blessings!

16gaSxS
03-13-2006, 10:27
Good Day!

Gee, 16ga, you gotta learn to not hold things back - you'll explode from the pressure one day. Go ahead, tell us what you really think. :)

Blessings!

Your right my meek shy manner can cause prolems some times! LOL

Thanks Moondoggie it's good to see another frugal guy that want quality at a reasonable cost thinking like I do! Hope the home office keeps working out for you!

jspringator
03-13-2006, 10:46
ROTELLA

DmaxMaverick
03-13-2006, 12:45
According to the US Supreme Court, it is synthetic. Not because they proved anything. It is not a true synthetic, in the strictest sense. The oil is a hydro-cracked mineral base oil. It was Castrol that was sued by Mobil, because of this practice (they started it). The USSC agreed with Castrol, since the oil they were selling wasn't really the same as previously labeled products, it can be called synthetic, because they changed it. No other reason. Period....And they're not required to print this on their labels. Since, many oil companies have jumped on the band wagon, and are profiting from it, hand over fist. Early on, these synthetics (and I use the term loosely), were about half the cost of the true, non-mineral synthetics (Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1, etc.). Not so anymore. They've actually increased in price, aproaching the cost of the true's. I'm certain the cost of the manufacturing processes hasn't increased, and the price of their base oil hasn't increased, that much. At the rate of the current crude price increases, it won't be long before the mineral base oils will be as much as the premium synthetics, anyway. In any case, it's another instance of price gouging, and only because they can. Most consumers won't know the real difference between the different synthetics, so most of this discussion is moot, anyway.

BTW, I purchase Amsoil 15-40 at about $16 a gallon in the quantities I need. You can get it for as low as $14 a gallon in greater quantities. Greg Landuyt offers this, and it isn't the MSRP, which is a little higher. If you are in a postition to pick it up from a distributor (not just a dealer), you can have it for less.

That being said, use what works for you and your wallet. Keep in mind, as said before, a Diesel engine requires a C rating, not S (C=compression, S=spark). The letters/numbers that follow the C/S are specification stages, and increase every time a new specification requirement has been approved. SJ may be the latest specification, but it's still only approved for spark ignition engines. You shouldn't be buying any new product approved for Diesel engines with a rating older than CI-4. If you are, it is either old stock someone is trying to get rid of, or an inferior brand of oil.

JeepSJ
03-13-2006, 13:38
Being different, I'm going to try the Lucas high-TBN diesel oil. Stuff is about $10/gal through Summit.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=48&catid=4&loc=show

More Power
03-13-2006, 16:25
I'd like to add an interesting anecdote to this discussion.... My 2001 Duramax now has about 52,000 miles on it. I change the oil at approximately 5,000 mile intervals... I've run lots of Chevron Delo 400, one batch of Mobil Delvac 1 and the most recent oil was the Shell "synthetic".

My truck usually consumes about a quart in that 5000 miles when using Chevron (or it has for all the previous oil drain intervals). And, I've gotten a little lazy in checking my oil between drains. A couple of weeks ago, I went to town on errands and saw the "Low Oil Level" warning light come on..... Now that one gets your attention....!

As it turned out, my oil level was down 2-1/2 quarts.....:eek: (10 quart capacity).

I'll probably not be using Shell's synthetic at the next service.... We'll see what develops....

Jim

16gaSxS
03-13-2006, 19:09
I'd like to add an interesting anecdote to this discussion.... My 2001 Duramax now has about 52,000 miles on it. I change the oil at approximately 5,000 mile intervals... I've run lots of Chevron Delo 400, one batch of Mobil Delvac 1 and the most recent oil was the Shell "synthetic".

My truck usually consumes about a quart in that 5000 miles when using Chevron (or it has for all the previous oil drain intervals). And, I've gotten a little lazy in checking my oil between drains. A couple of weeks ago, I went to town on errands and saw the "Low Oil Level" warning light come on..... Now that one gets your attention....!

As it turned out, my oil level was down 2-1/2 quarts.....:eek: (10 quart capacity).

I'll probably not be using Shell's synthetic at the next service.... We'll see what develops....

Jim

Jim;
I had a now deceased Diesel shop owner tell me that if you are not running a Shell oil and switch too it you will have high oil consumtion for a few oil changes. He said that can happen also with other brand changes, he suggest to find a brand you like and stick with it.
I use the first quart about 1700 to 2000 miles second quart and I due or over due an oil change at 3,000 miles.

JoeyD
03-13-2006, 19:16
I use Delvac 1 because it's the best, at least I think it is. I will run delvac 1300 in the new D max until 6,000 when the delvac 1 will go in it.

By the way it's a true synthetic..

Tough Guy
03-13-2006, 19:23
2 1/2 Quarts!!? Time to sell that oil eating GMC...

My Ford only uses 1 quart every 5000 miles. Same goes for the GMC. Maybe you didn't put in 10 quarts at the change? OR you have a big leak...Couldn't be the oil, thats top shelf stuff.

Chris

restoguy
03-14-2006, 11:27
Ok, here's my two cents. I used Mobil 1 in my first engine, but the price was a little high I'll admit. After a 'two piece crankshaft conversion', I put a second engine in. I have been using Delvac 1300 in it with great results. I consulted a local guy who has been selling/repairing OTR trucks for years about the Delvac and he said it was an excellent choice. He also said that Rotella was a good one. I also know people who have used Amsoil with good results. But I look at it this way. I can't pull into any truckstop and get a quart of amsiol. I can get Rotella or Delvac. I travel for work and sometimes have to change oil away from home. I want to use the same oil all the time, so I use the easier to get stuff, without comprimising my engine. I also want to throw some info in here about filters. For any of you who have a fram filter on your 6.5L. GO OUTSIDE AND APOLOGIZE TO IT RIGHT NOW! I have always used Wix. Here's why. In my little bump on the highway we have a bumper-to-bumper/all-pro. One day I stopped in and they had a display with various filters cut open so you could see how they were built. The wix was by far the best, but the fram......I could do better with a roll of paper towels and a glue gun. Serioulsly. And Fram are expensive too! Think about it this way. McDonalds sells more burgers than anyone. Is it really because they have the best burgers? I rest my case. If you don't believe me. Buy one of each and cut them open and look for yourself. I'd offer to pay for them if you do it and still don't agree, but I think that anyone who actually tries it would be so embarassed at what they find they wouldn't risk letting anyone know they ever used Fram.

moondoggie
03-14-2006, 13:25
Good Day!

Based on More Power's post yesterday, I'm gonna look into Delo 400 & Delvac 1. On the other hand, I haven't seen any change in oil consumption, & that's in three trucks I converted to the 5W-40 Synthetic Rotella.

An interesting aside: I assumed that when I began running this oil my oil pressure would drop, due to the 5W part of the rating. (Previously I had run 15W-40 Rotella most of the year, & 10W-30 in the dead of winter.) The oil pressure on my 95 pickup has actually gone up some. Now don't bother chastising me: I know that the odds of the oil pressure going up are small - more likely my cheesy factory oil pressure gauge and/or its sender just happen to be reading higher now than before. Even though I know intellectually that the oil pressure has most likely not risen, it's comforting to see that gauge reading higher than before. (On a hot summer day pulling our little trailer, I had seen the needle just slightly below 30 PSI at highway speeds. This always made me nervous. I've never seen less than 30 PSI since I switched to 5W-40 Synthetic Rotella, & frequently see 40 & 50 PSI running unloaded in cool weather - I NEVER saw oil PSI that high before the switch. Too bad there hadn't been time to parallel a good mechanical gauge to verify what's going on, although as I said I never suspected the oil pressure would go up.)

Blessings!

(signature in previous post)

16gaSxS
03-15-2006, 08:12
Good Day!

Based on More Power's post yesterday, I'm gonna look into Delo 400 & Delvac 1. On the other hand, I haven't seen any change in oil consumption, & that's in three trucks I converted to the 5W-40 Synthetic Rotella.

An interesting aside: I assumed that when I began running this oil my oil pressure would drop, due to the 5W part of the rating. (Previously I had run 15W-40 Rotella most of the year, & 10W-30 in the dead of winter.) The oil pressure on my 95 pickup has actually gone up some. Now don't bother chastising me: I know that the odds of the oil pressure going up are small - more likely my cheesy factory oil pressure gauge and/or its sender just happen to be reading higher now than before. Even though I know intellectually that the oil pressure has most likely not risen, it's comforting to see that gauge reading higher than before. (On a hot summer day pulling our little trailer, I had seen the needle just slightly below 30 PSI at highway speeds. This always made me nervous. I've never seen less than 30 PSI since I switched to 5W-40 Synthetic Rotella, & frequently see 40 & 50 PSI running unloaded in cool weather - I NEVER saw oil PSI that high before the switch. Too bad there hadn't been time to parallel a good mechanical gauge to verify what's going on, although as I said I never suspected the oil pressure would go up.)

Blessings!

MOONDOGGIE;

I have the same thing going on with my oil pressure. Mine never ran as low as your but I do see an improvement. I think you should ask Dr. Lee on this one.

moondoggie
03-15-2006, 10:28
Good Day!

Good idea (ask Dr. Lee).

I also forgot to mention that my oil consumption seems to have decreased a little since I switched to 5W-40 Synthetic Rotella; the oil definitely takes longer to achieve that deep black I've grown so attached to. :)

Blessings!

82TurboDiesel
03-15-2006, 14:43
I've been using Rotella T Synthectic and baldwin filters in both my Dodge and the Chev...so far so good but i didn't know it wasn't real synthetic....hmm

16gaSxS
03-16-2006, 10:20
I've been using Rotella T Synthectic and baldwin filters in both my Dodge and the Chev...so far so good but i didn't know it wasn't real synthetic....hmm

Real synthetic by whos standard and why does it really matter? I think the key is that it is high quality oil that makes winter start ups easy and can be had around the country. I have never found Delvac synthetic. The price is better than most. This oil exceeds the orginal standard that was requiredby the engine manufacture........So I say to heck with the obsessed oil geeks and the base stock argument, everyone has their opinion. I would still used the Rotella if they called it super quailty refined oil and it does the same job. Too me it's like saying that Mac or SnapOn is better than the other......I DON'T care they both are quality tools and either does the job.

Kent
03-18-2006, 20:39
At the end of a engines life i guess is where you can make a final determination as to if you did the rite thing with your oil selection. I refuse to bs myself into thinking that i have a synthetic when in fact, i do not.
I stopped using Castrol years ago when i learned of their deception.

damork
03-19-2006, 09:47
I've used Rotella 5w-40 synthetic in the winter (below 30F), and as Moondoggie mentions, it reduced oil consumption. I've used Mobil Delvac 5w-40 synthetic in the past, but could find no real benefit in that over the Rotella for my needs. Both let me start quickly at sub zero temps but the Delvac was double the cost. Trying to pick a "best" oil out of the Rotella, Mobil, Valvoline, Chevron lineup is going to be like splitting hairs - I've used them all and have never had an engine fail because them. I'd be more concerned about no-name brands selling for a fraction of the price of the majors.

JohnC
03-19-2006, 10:43
I run Rotella 5W-40 in the winter because it's 5W rated and it gets cold here and I'm cheap. I run 15W-40 dino oil in the summer because I'm cheap...

Dvldog8793
03-20-2006, 05:44
Howdy
My .02.... I use Mobile1 5-40 in my 3500(new motor40k miles) all year. I use Mobile Delvac1300 in my 84 6.2 van, it only gets road time in the summer. I use the Rotella in all my diesel equipment. Mobile sythetic products also go into every gas engine I own. The reason for Mobile is the engines that I have pulled apart that used it have been incredibly clean and showed little sign of wear. I've never pulled apart a motor that used Rotella... my equipment get Rotella because the operators can find it and know it. People are more likely to maintain things if they know a name and don't have to think. I agree 100% that it's got more to do with good maintence and a good product rather than theabsulute best(who knows???, personall opinion!!!) with fewer oil changes. As a note, the truck with Mobile1 5-40 has dual big filters and a bypass making for 9.5 quarts and it still get a oil change every 5-7000 miles and the primary filter gets changed every 3000.
another sight that helps is http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html
It deals with gassers but I think the information is good.
L8r
Conley

grape
03-21-2006, 17:53
mobil 1 is hydrocracked base III stock just like all the other junk, yet again............. market it, and the followers will come. US standards don't require a full synthetic to start with an ester base, so you get the same junk you buy in the dyno oil. There is a reason why some synthetics cost $10 per quart and other so called full synthetics cost less than $5 per quart. Mobil 1 has 1 fully synthetic motor oil they offer for their racing program and their hi performance motorcycle program, look it up, it's called MX4T and it's roughly $20 per quart.....................it's also green because they buy their ester base from rick at red line. If anybody has poured out red line race oil you can tell me what color it is.