PDA

View Full Version : P0236 one more time?

DaveNY
03-11-2006, 15:23
Well sorry to bring this up again but I get a 236 when I hit the hwy and take the first stop. When I restart and pull out of the rest area all is well but a few minutes and she chucks a code. It dosent feel as if the truck defuels and it continues to drive normally. A couple of restarts after the trip and some local running the light goes out. Boost is at 5-6 lbs and EGT 450-500' post turbo, coolant 180' All at 72mph around 2350 rpm. I am currently at the 115000 mark and am hesitant to cut in to the harness with a resistor,although my boost figures do not indicate that is my problem.I guess I need to know if this is some sort of heat sink problem that I originally thought I had when I went to the TM. Around town no light for months including short hops on limited access hwys.It always occurs after the first stop on a long run 150 mi or so and stays lit for the remainder of the trip.???????????????
Dave
I need an icon for puzzled?

HowieE
03-12-2006, 10:24
You say the truck Does Not Defuel when the code is set. Defueling and lack of TCC and poor preformance are the stated results of this code. Do you have these results? Next time it happens check the TCC lockup by punching the throttle and watching the tack. If the tack jumps a couple hundred RPM it is not locked.

DaveNY
03-12-2006, 11:36
Howie,
No symptom at all except the light and code. It was the reason I originally went to the TM about a year ago. Then I was sure it was the solenoid because I had no waste gate solenoid at idle intermittenly, Also set the light on long trip after a bief stop and restart. Like NY to NC with fuel stop and food in VA bingo light comes on and stays for 1-2 days and cuts out but only after a few restarts maybe 6-7 and the the light goes out same as it went on , after a start up and I drive a minute or two and light goes out. Again no difference in performance.??????????????????????????In fact since TM fuel mileage went from 15.5 or so to 17.5 this trip.
Dave
PS. I did go through the whole vacuum test, I just didnt bother to replace the solenoid and am waiting for the 120 mark to remove the pump and change the belt.

DennisG01
03-13-2006, 11:37
Here's my $.01 worth - not sure if it's worth the full $.02 ;) - Your boost numbers are normal since you are using a TurboMaster. It could still be the wastegate solenoid. I can only say that from my experience it sounds like the solenoid. I had very similar symptoms (SES light comes on, but truck seems to be driving normal) and had the same code - it was the solenoid.

DaveNY
03-13-2006, 16:55
Thanks Dennis,
My suspicions are the same as your reasoning states and I guess Ill just live with it for now but if the solenoid is bad and I continue to run this way for another 5K till the warranty runs out. The removal of the vacuum system will not cure the problem? I will at some stage need a boost fooler or ECM flash?
Dave

Bnave95
03-14-2006, 03:06
and am hesitant to cut in to the harness with a resistor,

Dave NY
Seeing how I have a 95 with the Turbo Master,My code set is 78. I did the Res. in the loop and still will set the 78 code. At first I left the Sillynood on but that still set the 78. Might just be my ECM/PCM. I did every test that could be done to get my elect. boost to work,no go.
Thing that get me is you still have boost,unless it goes away and comes back,sets code. One thing that had happen to me when at one time I would have a lost in boost under load,code set,lost boost,let of on power and got boost back. I had a cracked rubber nipple at the waste gate can. Could not hold boost over the high load of the Ex.
This probley has nothing to do with what your having but the Res. has'nt work for me. If there might be a different vaule of Res. than I'm using it might work. I'm just using one that was posted sometime back. Then again my whole boost system went south.
Wow,some how I messed your running a Turbo Master,did'nt get the TM thing. Dumb.
Well maybe some one might get something out of this when it come to boost trouble shooting.

DaveNY
03-14-2006, 18:42
Bnave95
Thanks for your reply, I seem to have the same problem as you. My vacuum actuator for the wastegate checked out fine,the pump is working but on occasion the waste gate actuator was inop. So I assumed that the solenoid was bad and was heading in the direction of the turbo-master and a reflash of the ECM anyway and just chucked it all and installed the TM. I guess the thing I am now trying to accomplish is to keep the ses lamp from coming on.Just cant figure why the code sets or what would cause the code to set under the circumstances that it does?
Dave
Still no Icon for scratching ones head?

Bnave95
03-15-2006, 02:26
I deal with two code issue. 78 and 35. I was hoping the resister would take care of the 78, but has not. The 35 I live with till my 110K pump gives up. So here come the black tape over the light just so I don't have to see it come on. Once it does come on, if I let off on the power the light will go out but in time will come back on. Around town driving the ses never comes on till I hit the road. There's a RPM range where the light will lit and when I get to 70mph+ then the ses will come and go. At that time it may not come on and other times it may stay on till I cycle the key. The code 35 has been this way now for over a year. Does not effect the way the Eng. runs nor MPG.
Who knows? It may just be ECM and not the pump. It would be nice to fine a knowly good 95 F eng. ecm just to see what would happen.