PDA

View Full Version : air to water intercooler

NYCEGUY01
03-11-2006, 21:53
I did my first attempt to heat this thing up today and i think ive succeded.
I have only made a couple of posts here and on the ic issue i was told by a couple of members I should just do mine like thiers and they use thier trucks harder etc.. than i ever would etc...
I wasnt going to come back with this post but there were a few people that seemed interested in something different. Heath has a kit coming at the end of may that will be cheaper than his air to air but im not a patient guy so i built my own. It was much easier than i could of imagined.
total im out less than 500 $ and there is no way it will not perform at least as good as all the available kits.

the parts i used were mostly purchased off ebay

1st the intercooler is a spearco 2-231 ( mine was used but there are a bunch of no-names that are the same most sell for under 200 $)

2nd the extra radiator to cool the water ,i bought a used fluidyne alum kart racing model 16"x9"x2" (the size let me mount it behind the grill on the pass side)

3rd the water pump to circulate the water is a stock replacement for a 2003 ford lightning truck. i paid 80 $ new ( they use a water to air ic for the supercharged trucks and svo mustangs, if ford will use it i know it will hold up to heat coolant etc..)

4th i made a 2 gallon resevoir to feed the pump and collect the water from the ic ( i put a normal 16 lb rad cap on top with a 3/4 fitting on the side near the top and another on the bottom)

the ic itself is mounted on the driver side fenderwell with one hose going straight to the turbo and the other going to the flipped intake.

i will post a few pics once the hard lines are built ( just running blue silicone hose temporary) and the mounting brackets etc.. cleaned up and finalized

heaths will be a new upper casting that may work better but im sure the kit will cost more than the 500 or so i spent.

oh and by the way my truck is a 96 3500 4x4
with the following mods ( nothin fancy but it s paid for and gets the job done)

heath reflash
turbo master
marine inj 311's with 2175 pop
ats propane injection
afe filter
own fsd cooler behind pass side hole in bumper
and of course new water to air intercooler

dieseldummy
03-11-2006, 22:35
Sounds promising, can't wait for pics. Air to Air is probably ideal, but Air to Water has been done for ever too. Lots of tractors and trucks have airt to water so I don't care what anyone says about it. I say good job!
Justin

Hubert
03-12-2006, 06:59
Thanks for posting. I'd like to see pictures when you get a chance. Ditto I think its a good modification.