PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump prime tool

JeepSJ
03-12-2006, 15:32
Searched and found a few conversations, but nothing that answered this question. Can I use the same priming tool as I have for my GM gas engines? Thought I would ask her before I went through the hassle of removing the oil pump drive.

Thanks!

BobND
03-12-2006, 21:05
The 6.2 and 6.5 oil pump driveshafts are hexagonal.

I made a priming tool from an old vacuum pump.

I took it apart, cut off the top part, and machined the gear off in the lathe.

I can drop it in, chuck the top of the shaft in a 1/2 drill, and start pumping oil.

autocrosser
03-13-2006, 09:52
Another way to get them to prime if you are tearing the engine down is to pack the pump with vaseline before reasembling it. I do this on a lot of engines. Works every time.

JeepSJ
03-13-2006, 13:31
Hmmm. Hex drive? Maybe a 1/4" drive socket and long extension...gotta glue that socket to the extension though...

diesel65
03-13-2006, 14:09
Jeep,
Electrical tape works well.
One problem when trying to prime the engine, the vacuum pump housing or a oil pump drive housing is part of the oil galley to allow feed to the cam and lifters, without the housing your just priming the oil pump and cooler and dumping back into the oil pan, you might be getting some oil to the crank and connecting rod bearings.

JeepSJ
03-13-2006, 16:54
That is why I was wondering of the tool I have for gas engines would work. It seals that galley when you slip it into the block.

BobND
03-13-2006, 22:35
You could certainly use my priming tool, made from a vacuum pump, by paying shipping, and then mailing it back when done with it.