PDA

View Full Version : Oil Slick

dstoops
03-13-2006, 19:25
It's been about 5000 miles ago that I had a new injection pump installed on the ol' 6.5. I am noticing a lot of oil film building up on the passenger side on the valve cover, intake manifold and firewall area. The mechanic says it is coming from the crank-case vent valve and tube that runs to the turbo/intake manifold tube and that this is very common on the 6.5 TD. It has stayed clean for 200,000 miles and 10+ years so I'm thinking it can be repaired. Has anybody else had this problem???How did you fix it?
Thanks
Dean

tommac95
03-13-2006, 22:22
Try search for CDR, maybe.
On TDP advice i washed/soaked mine in diesel fuel/kero, and it works. Check the valve cover grommet, and hose connections.

Eyeball InManifold connections, turbo out boot.

BobND
03-13-2006, 22:32
The "root cause" is almost certainly excessive blowby, which takes oil mist with it, from the crankcase, out of the valve cover, into the compressor side of the turbo, and then back to the intake.

As a band-aide fix, replacing the valve cover grommet, the CDR, if it is leaking through the little vent hole in it's cover (facing the RH fender), tightening the hose clamps on the vent line to the turbo, and the hose clamps on the line from the turbo to the intake will at least lessen the mess.

That being said, I have yet to see a high-miles 6.5 that DIDN'T try to weep oil at most, if not all the places just mentioned.

On my 1994, the IP had been replaced by a diesel shop prior to me getting the truck at about 54,000 miles. They did not do a good job of cleaning the gasket residue from the intake manifold and the heads, and it even leaked enough there to make a mess from them oil weeping out, until I pulled the intake, cleaned everthing up, and put it back together with new gaskets.

Bnave95
03-14-2006, 01:45
Did a air cleaner service on the truck,never have I seen it so bad. Interstate driving must real dirty. Any hoo,what cault my eye was this black goo at the end of the tube. It was all most pluged off. The CDR was full of the same black goo. Never have I seen this on my truck. I'm sure it's been years sence I cleaned it but what the heak would cause this build up and what was it?
Stuck my finger down the CDR hole and found the same.
Are my 180* stats to cool now that I'm not towing a TT?
With the Bypass oil system I have been stritching oil change to 4500-5000K miles. Could that be?, though I have been doing interstate driving.
I'v also got a oily pass Eng. though I blame it some what on a boost hose Tee that runs gauge and switch for the water,so I thought.
Noow I wonder how much of this grap is in the upper end?
Been thinking doing more oil changes to help clean this thing up,I mean like every 1000 miles for the next 4K.
Any thought?
Ever seen such a mess?