PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket Question

SoTxPollock
03-14-2006, 11:09
I know all material has a life cycle of so much, and I know someone on a F**d that experience head gasket failure after about 8 years and 270,000 or so miles. After they tore it down absolutely nothing was wrong with the engine except the gasket had blown through between cylinders. Techs said it due to the degradation of the gasket over time. Mind you this was steel to steel.
When do you think that same scenario might occur on our engines with vastly different coffecients of thermal expansion between the top of the gasket and the bottom of the gasket?

More Power
03-14-2006, 19:44
I wouldn't feel too badly replacing the head gaskets after 8 years and 270,000 miles....:)

There are quite a few Duramax powered trucks out there now with that many miles. Haven't heard a magic number yet for head gaskets, but I'd expect that at some point there'll be a bell curve developed for head gasket replacements. The Duramax uses a multi-layer metal gasket, so it should do pretty well long-term.

Jim

SoTxPollock
03-15-2006, 11:19
Yes, I agree 8 yrs. is good, but back then it would be some labor and head gaskets. Now its lots and lots of labor, head gaskets, head bolts, seals, oil, coolant, etc. Oh well no one said it was going to be inexpensive.
I suspect the gasket composition that we have now will stand a lot more than they did before. Hope they last a long, long time. I do find it interesting that some of out guys have made such high horsepower and torque numbers without loosing compression seal with stock components that says a lot to me about how well the Duramax is designed. If Brandon or John have ever blown a head gasket we didn't hear about it and Jim your haven't blown one either?

More Power
03-16-2006, 15:48
Well.... I saw some pressure in the cooling system at Edge's event. An issue with nitrous and the extra timing advance PPE uses were key contributing factors. Haven't had a problem since - when running with as much power/nitrous (different power adder). But yes, it's amazing how well the head gaskets hold up at extreme power levels. I may eventually go to studs and new gaskets (when or if I have to). :)

Jim