PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leaking From Intercooler Hose?

All-tuned-up
03-15-2006, 08:11
I have an 05 wondering why I have Motor Oil on my hose from the Intercooler, way down low, up front passenger side, large black hose either coming out of or going into Intercooler.

More Power
03-15-2006, 10:16
Beginning with the LLY, GM began routing crankcase gases back into the air intake system, to be recycled in the combustion process. The LB7 crankcase gases were vented to atmosphere.

Crankcase gases contain some oil vapors, which then can condense on the inside of the intercooler components after being pressurized by the turbocharger. It's somewhat normal to see an accumulation of oily residue build up over time at some/most of the intercooler hose connections and related fittings.

Tightening the clamps can help, but you may never be able to completely eliminate it. In worst cases, new hoses and a thorough cleaning of the related fittings using an oil-free solvent, then re-assemble using an RTV sealant can almost eliminate the problem.

After tightening the clamps, a powerwash every 6 months or so can be a workable compromise....;)

Jim

SoTxPollock
03-15-2006, 11:11
Doesn't that mean then that the longer one runs the engine the more the intercooler gets internally coated with exhaust oily residue and looses cooling efficiency?

FJ40INTOW
03-15-2006, 11:17
Beginning with the LLY, GM began routing crankcase gases back into the air intake system, to be recycled in the combustion process. The LB7 crankcase gases were vented to atmosphere.

Jim
This may explain why I smell Rotella after a oil change on my 03!

More Power
03-16-2006, 11:28
Yes & yes... An oil film inside an intercooler can reduce the effectiveness of the intercooler... To what degree is the question....

Yes, crankcase gases expelled by the LB7 can be detected by the truck's occupants - in certain types of conditions (like sitting at a traffic light). The first couple hundred miles on new oil is when it's most noticeable. Soon after changing the oil is also when the infamous "tick" is most noticeable. I think it's related to new oil gassing off.

Jim

All-tuned-up
03-16-2006, 17:32
I live about 190 miles from my purchasing dealer, and I really don't trust the "rural" dealers for some reason. I just find that weird that a truck of this caliber does this. Are the other brands experiencing similar oil problems or reactions? I've never heard of this? I'm thankful for the reply though, saves me a trip to the dealer. I'll check into pulling that hose off and "draining" any more oil that might be there. Wow.

More Power
03-16-2006, 19:35
I've yet to see a recommendation for removing an intercooler hose, to drain any oil accumulation. In practice, I don't think that's necessary anyway, because any accumulation will likely blow on through the system. In any event, it's all perfectly normal for an oil film to be present inside the intercooler, related ducting and intake manifold.

We've dealt with this issue since the first 6.5TD. The 6.5 also recycles crankcase gases, and owners have reported oily residue buildup around the turbo fittings for as long as The Diesel Page has been on the net (since 2/15/96).

Jim

n3qik
03-19-2006, 17:10
I would look into getting a CCV filter. The Mann ProVent is what is being used by some Jeep CRD owners. Some on the VW TDI web site have had problems with oil buildup and EGR valves. They had a custom CCV filter builted the there engines.

DocBob
03-21-2006, 00:06
I've not seen a reference to CCV filters before. What is it and where does it go?? I have an 04.5 and had the turbo replaced because an oil leak in what sounds like the same location. The turbo was replaced under warranty about a year ago and have recently started leaking again. I was prompted to look for the leak by an occasional drip of oil on the garage floor.

n3qik
03-21-2006, 17:53
In short, it filters the oil from the crank case as it is recycled back into the intact. This is a closed loop system that is found on most newer engines. Here is some more info.
http://www.reliableindustries.com/catalog/MNH/ProVent1.pdf

Buck
03-26-2006, 01:20
Last weekend I fixed that problem. I just unhooked the 1" hose that connects to the intake. The one with the tee about 3" up under the baffle that says "6.6 turbo diesel". I got a plastic cap that is rated to 400 degrees, from another member on a different site. I put it on the intake nipple. I took a steel 1" to 1" nipple and connected it to the CCV hose and put about 2 feet of 1" I.D. hose(clamped both hoses to the nipple) routed it over the alternator along the ac hose toward the factory air box. I then added a crank case air filter(just what Farm & Fleet had that I could use = Fram part # BA3632) to it and hooked 5/8" I.D. heater hose to the nipple on the bottom side of the CC filter and clamped both ends. I routed it down between the lower radiator hose and intercooler hose and stuck the 5/8 hose in an existing hole on the outside of the frame to keep slush and mud from potentially plugging the hose. I made a 45 degree cut on the end so it wouldn't get blocked by the frame after sticking it though the hole.

My original plan was to hook the crank case filter directly to the OEM 1" CCV hose and just run 5/8 hose down to the frame hole. However, the baffle (that says 6.6 turbo diesel) wouldn't fit 'cuz the filter is to big, so I improvised :)

The CCV filter is about level with the air box tray. I cut other pieces of hose and zip tied them where contact spots were with other parts. I made sure to zip tie everything well. BTW, make sure to check your injector wires, some have had problems with the metal bracket wearing though the wires. The trouble spot is just to the left of the passenger side alternator(I have 2 alternators) zip tied to the metal bracket there are loomed and taped wires from the EDU. I cut a piece of heater hose to shield the wires from the metal bracket and zip tied very well. The loom and tape on mine was starting to wear....

I also found out that someone at the factory missed tighting/releasing the catch on the spring clamp on my lower coolant hose. The little one below the EDU which connects to the hard aluminum line. I bent it slightly and coolant sprayed everywhere. Funny thing is it only leaked if you pressed on the hose. It could have easily popped off, lucky for me.....and I drove 26K miles like that.

Hope this helps someone

Buck