PDA

View Full Version : Supercharged 6.5 .........

Blacky
03-15-2006, 15:51
Hi, I'd like to build a mechanically injected performance 6.5 with a supercharger instead of turbo. I intend to have the same level of block preparation as the one in the More Power articles. Any thoughts are welcome on possible problems and setbacks.....
This is for an engine swap into a Nissan 4x4 in Australia.
Thanks

JoeyD
03-15-2006, 16:50
Why supercharge vs. turbo charge?

TurboDiverArt
03-15-2006, 18:25
I don't think you'll get enough boost. Most commercially available superchargers only put out 10 psi of boost, maybe 15 psi if you really drive them. After that most become inefficient. There

Blacky
03-15-2006, 18:42
The main reason I am considering Supercharhing is space. The Nissan 4x4 engine bay is narrower than the 3500 however, since a 6 cyl is coming out and they are longer than the v8, there is more room to play with. So i thought that a side mounted turbo just wouldnt fit.
However it might be worth the trouble to make some custom turbo headers instead of mucking around with a supercharger.
Also the places here is Aus that do provide 6.5's have the vacuum pump mounted at the back of the alternator.
One of my main aims was to keep it simple, and the supercharger seemed to be the way to go.
Thanks for your replies

NH2112
03-15-2006, 18:52
I'd say a turbocharger is quite a bit simpler than a supercharger. It uses waste heat, produces so little backpressure that you might as well say it's free energy, and requires no belts. All you need is an oil supply and drain line.

dieseldummy
03-15-2006, 20:19
If you could bet a turbo setup from a van or hummer then it would be mounted in the center of the engine at the rear. That might help out your space situation.

Blacky
03-16-2006, 00:09
Thanks to all for posts. Very helpul to have input. Can anyone provide links to or photo's of hummer or van 6.5 turbo setups? This will help in determining whether or not it will fit in my truck.
again, thanks

JohnC
03-16-2006, 09:36
Don't let these guys disuade you! Someone posted a few years back about a supercharged 6.5 in a Hummer. don't know if the info is still available, but it has been done!

dieseldummy
03-16-2006, 21:32
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think that the supercharger is a great idea too. In fact I have a torn down 671 detroit in the shop I often thought of robbing the blower off of for my 6.5... I don't have any hummer turbo pics, but try searching for hummer sites on the net. There are quite a few that have good pics of everything.
Justin