PDA

View Full Version : Checklist

big61fourby
03-15-2006, 22:16
Heading to Montana on Friday for spring break, 1300 miles one way. Here's what I've got so far:

1 extra fuel filter
1 extra gallon of oil
2 extra gallons of antifreeze
2 extra quarts of tranny fluid
36 mm socket
rear axle nut socket
plenty of fuel additative
enough sockets/wrenches to fit most everything
bailing wire
duck tapeOther items of note: Lift pump new 4 months ago, working good; fuel filter had 5k on it now; 1 year old batt.; good tires, good spare; and had my first stumble a couple weeks ago on a warm day :mad: .

Other than that, any thing else I should add, or be prepared for?

twaddle
03-16-2006, 01:25
Hi big61fourby,

I'd also add..... a spare FSD/PMD (I consider this a nesessity) and it must be known to be a good one.
Digital multimeter
Tow rope
Jumper cables
Spray tin of contact cleaner
Length or roll of electrical wire and a selection of connectors

I would suggest having a couple gallons of pre mixed water and antifreeze as this saves some messing about.

Does this all say anything about the confidence I have for my Suburban?????

Regards and have a good trip.

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland

Bnave95
03-16-2006, 02:26
Also I'd take a spare belt. Have fun.

garre1tt
03-16-2006, 03:09
I am a big fan of the roadside assistance/towing insurance, just peace of mind.
Where in Montana are you going? I am flying into Great Falls to retrieve my gas Suburban and drive it down to California on the 16th. Just a in and out trip but I wish it was longer. Starting to miss it there.
Have faith, this engine will take you there and back many more times than a gasser.
Michael D

big61fourby
03-16-2006, 07:27
I'm headed to east central, Glendive/Bloomfield/Savage area to visit a friend that works at Eastern Montana Bible Camp.

twaddle, I actually have everything on your list minus the FSD. I'd go out and buy a new one, but funds just aren't going to allow that unless it's an emergency. According to the warrenty history, this one only has 45k on it, but I guess that's not saying much. If I do develope a case of the stalls, any tricks for getting back on the road again, short of a new FSD?

I hear you about the confidence part, the torque converter that won't stay locked gives me nightmares about catistrophic failure.

Good idea about the belt. Anything else?

Mark Rinker
03-16-2006, 09:10
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-Turbo-Diesel-FSD-PMD-6-5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33553QQitemZ804407550 5QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Buy a tested, used unit and throw it in your glovebox. Probably more likely to get used by the side of the road than any other item mentioned here.

DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT. :)

garre1tt
03-16-2006, 13:29
If you are not already using fuel additive get some with anti gel.
Had problems last year this time bringing the suburban from Texas to Montana. Started in the 70s and dropped into the teens in Wyoming. Fuel gelled and had to find an extension cord to worm it up. Set me behind half a day driving.
Michael D.

big61fourby
03-16-2006, 19:21
Thanks for the link, Mark. I will definitely have one of those on hand soon as the warm weather is setting in.

Burned through almost a case of Stanadyne Perf. Formula, and have a few remaining bottles for the trip. After that, its Power Service, mainly because I can get it almost anywhere. White bottle has antigel, gray does not, correct? Thanks a bunch, guys, be back in a week.

Tough Guy
03-16-2006, 20:33
Thanks for the link, Mark. I will definitely have one of those on hand soon as the warm weather is setting in.

Burned through almost a case of Stanadyne Perf. Formula, and have a few remaining bottles for the trip. After that, its Power Service, mainly because I can get it almost anywhere. White bottle has antigel, gray does not, correct? Thanks a bunch, guys, be back in a week.

Power Service, the white bottle has anti-gel, great stuff I use every tank.

It sounds like your hauling enough already...but If I travel long distances in unfamiliar country, I like to have a 5 gallon container of fuel....might be enough to get you to the next town if your low on fuel. Out west here towns can be few and far between. Sounds like your prepared, have a great trip.

Chris