PDA

View Full Version : Torque Management

Heartbeat Hauler
03-16-2006, 08:34
I wonder, with all of these new software products going around, how easy would it be to get rid of the torque management for the 6.0L in my 2500 Sub? Would it wake this heavy ol' beast up or would it just wreck the tranny? Any of you high-speed EFI-Live guys know?
JP

TLS
03-16-2006, 08:43
I'm waiting for a nice cheap handheld controller (Hypertech/Diablo/etc) to do just that. I think the Diablo lets you remove some.

I wan't firmer shifts.
Higher shift points.
No TQ Management.
A little more power.

But my truck shifts like a 250K mile Powerglide.:(

Heartbeat Hauler
03-18-2006, 10:17
But my truck shifts like a 250K mile Powerglide.:(
:D I hear ya. I was hoping that by eliminating some or all of the TQ management I would see an improvement in off the line performance. I'm not a drag racer or anything, but my 2500 Sub feels like it has a 5000lb trailer attached. I have read that TQ management is used to reduce wear on clutches during shifts. I can see where this would be a good thing for longevity, but it sure does suck when accelerating.

I'm waiting for a nice cheap handheld controller (Hypertech/Diablo/etc) to do just that. I think the Diablo lets you remove some.

I wan't firmer shifts.
Higher shift points.
No TQ Management.
A little more power.

I think you might be money ahead to invest in a shift kit for the tranny. Wouldn't this essentially address all of your needs? Except maybe the extra HP, but with a shift kit it may feel like it has more more. Anyways, I'm not sure a handheld is gonna do this, or at least it's not gonna let you do this, but it may have some TQ mangmnt reduction incorporated in the tune...I guess that's probably what you're thinkin'.
JP

Mark Rinker
03-22-2006, 07:45
The Diablosport Predator does just that. It helps mostly with shift points and firmness, not off the line performance. However, I think what your are feeling is the lack of lowend torque that the 6.0L has in comparison to generations of 5.7L smallblocks.

Thus the reason that truck #3 below is getting traded in on a used DMax. Pathetic power, even more pathetic MPG.

If your ride was an '03, I'd give you my programmer...but its for an '03. I am going over to the Classifieds section to list it for sale, if anyone is interested.

Heartbeat Hauler
03-27-2006, 08:51
I have a Predator for my DMAX and I think I'm gonna sell it and buy that EFI-Live. Supposedly is can program any 96 and later OBDII PCM (gas or diesel). And if you get the commercial (?) version you can do unlimited vehicles...I dunno. Since I have 3 vehicles, all OBDII, I think this may be the way to go.
JP

ECMProgrammer
11-04-2006, 17:20
Our GMT software programs 1996 and up GM products--All engine combinations of 4.3L, 4.8L, 5.0L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.6L, 7.4L and 8.1L and the soon to be added 6.5L TD. Our customers are already programming 2007 models for their clients. We were shipping Duramax PCM's to clients when EFI was just a dream.

EFI-xxxx doesn't have any level of support for the 4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L or 7.4L engine groups of any year, their support starts with the LS1 for 1999.

Lyndon :cool:
www.ecmprogrammer.com
Westers Garage
1-888-WESTER-1

1996 4.3 Blazer 4x4 (28MPG)
1998 6.5 Turbo Diesel (26 MPG)
2001 C5 Corvette (33 MPG)
2004 LLY Duramax (22 MPG)
2004 Yukon (my wifes' rig) (26 MPG)
2005 SSR with LS2 (25 MPG)

dieseldummy
11-04-2006, 17:41
Is this your "workshop" software that is fairly pricey?

ECMProgrammer
11-05-2006, 15:05
Is this your "workshop" software that is fairly pricey?

For the GMT version, vehicle coverage 1996-2007 ($6599), it's a couple thousand cheaper than the other versions out there, and at least has a toll-free number for TechSupport 8:00AM-6:00PM MST North America wide...we never designed an 'individual' version because this would overload the techline that's set up for real tuning shops. Our integrated scan tool and datalogger is almost finished, and will be a free upgrade to existing GMT purchasers.;)

Lyndon
www.ecmprogrammer.com
Westers Garage
1-888-WESTER-1