PDA

View Full Version : How many here DO NOT use fuel additives

Scrufdog
03-16-2006, 10:04
I've read posts about people using fuel additives and such to increases various things; fuel system, engine, better starting, etc. I'm fairly new to the diesel world and although I have no problem feeding an additive in at each tank, I was wondering who doesnt actually use anything and if there have been any problems that could be related to it.

Tough Guy
03-16-2006, 20:43
I think NOT using additives is fine....if you don't like your engine...J/K!

Most people that post here are enthusastic about their Diesel powered vehicle and feel good using fuel additives.

I drive alot and have found that a good additive can/will increase your mileage enough to pay for itself, but offers other benifits such as lubricity for the IP and injectors...which could mean longer life from those components.

It is certainly not required for your vehicle though.

Chris

BobND
03-16-2006, 21:01
I have never used fuel additives, except for an occasional dose of Power Service, when I get caught with too much #2 in the tank, and it gets way below zero here in northern ND.

I bought the 1994 6.5TD truck when it was a couple of years old, with 54,000 miles on it.

I now have 190,000. It still runs and starts well, and gets about the same mileage it did when I first bought it on the same IP and injectors that were in it when I bought it.

restoguy
03-16-2006, 21:56
I try to always put a little something in the tank. I haven't got a local source for the stanedyne stuff that everybody seems to like so well here, so I usually use Howe's. I've used PowerService a time or two before, but a good friend who has sold/repaired OTR trucks for years says Howe's is the way to go. He told me to leave the PowerService on the shelf, and he sells it! I do notice a better idle and more mileage. Can't say for sure if it pays for itself just in fuel savings, but I'm sure it does in parts cost.

john8662
03-16-2006, 22:08
Stanadyne additive is all I use, but I have a local source for it at Diesel Injection Service www.dieselpage.com

But, this is only the occasional add-in when I can afford to fill the tank with fuel other than dyed stuff :cool: