PDA

View Full Version : Checklist for buying used truck

Scrufdog
03-16-2006, 12:27
Tomorrow I'm going to look at 2 different 1997 K2500 6.5 TD's.

I have to usual list and was looking to know if I should check for anything else...

Oil and tranny for contamination, metal filings, and burnt fluid
Antifreeze for oil contamimation
Tires for even wear
steering for looseness
listen for bad idle or internal problems
see if info is available for oil/tranny services and problems
drive it for a bit
once its warmed up, look for leaks

What should a specifically look for since its a diesel 4x4?

Artworks
03-16-2006, 18:50
I purchased a '95 6.5 , used w/ 207,000 kl, used to tow a small 5 -wheel camper. Was in real nice shape, looked as if it was looked after, ran real nice, quiet, sent oil sample away after putting 3,000 kl on it, returned very good, had stalling problem so I changed th FSD, already had cooler on it. The suddenly one day, white smoke, over heated. Took it ot a trust worthy diesel mechanic, cracked head & a crack in block. Ended up putting AMG engine in. I believe the previouse owner had a stalling / staring problem & instead of trouble shootin it properly, they used starting fluid / ether and over stressed the components of the engine, till it gave up on Me. So, really reserch how the owner of the unit you are looking at treated his truck,( ask other people and mechanic's where they got there service. and if your still unshure, get something in writing. save a lot of expense later. Bin There, should have Done That !!!

Tough Guy
03-16-2006, 21:54
Tomorrow I'm going to look at 2 different 1997 K2500 6.5 TD's.

I have to usual list and was looking to know if I should check for anything else...

Oil and tranny for contamination, metal filings, and burnt fluid
Antifreeze for oil contamimation
Tires for even wear
steering for looseness
listen for bad idle or internal problems
see if info is available for oil/tranny services and problems
drive it for a bit
once its warmed up, look for leaks

What should a specifically look for since its a diesel 4x4?

Cold starts and hot starts...Cold will tell you the condition of the glow system and batteries..Hot starts could possibly reveal any FSD/PMD issues. I would also do a carfax report and run the VIN# for any and all warranty work done to the vehicle.

After the engine is at operating temp, while idling pull the oil fill cap and check for blow-by, wisps of smoke are normal...if it looks like a choo-choo then you want to look for a different truck.

I would take the inlet tube from the airbox off to look at the compressor wheel on the turbo, check for wear from poor filtration, and feel the inside of the tube for grit in the oil residue.

It might not be a bad idea to see if there are any trouble codes stored in the ECM too.

Is there a warranty available with either vehicle?

Chris

Scrufdog
03-16-2006, 22:17
actually its down to 1 now, one of the trucks was sold late today.

The one thats left has a 90 warranty on it, not sure what exactly is covered however, but I"ll find out when i get there.

Good to have more stuff to check. I also plan on crawling underneath it with a flashlight and look around.

Anywhere on those bodies that has a tendency to rust badly?

Scrufdog
03-16-2006, 22:20
what do i need to take the intake tube off? a phillips I'd guess?