PDA

View Full Version : Truck starts then stalls or idles rough when cold

DIESELMAX403
03-18-2006, 08:27
When I start my truck, especially in cooler weather (30+ degF), it idles rough (lopey) for awhile. This condition has existed as far as I can remember since I owned the truck. Just recently, I had to start it at 20 degF. It started right up and then stalled after a second or two as though the fuel was cut off. Before panicing, I proceeded to check the priming pump on top of the filter and it was not firm. After priming it started right up.

Another thing to note is that when I perform filter changes (every 10K), my truck will not start if I follow the normal GM priming procedure. I have to extra prime and expel fuel out of the bleeder screw several times to ensure a perfect prime or it will not start.

Has anyone experienced this? While I have tolerated a rough idle on startup, this stalling at only 20 degF has got me worried. Before I ever venture into colder weather, I need to correct the problem.

In case anyone asks, the rough idle has occurred before I installed the Banks kit and my current fuel filter has 8500 miles on it

Mark Rinker
03-18-2006, 12:16
Sure sounds like filter plugging problems. Not cold enough for fuel gelling.

Where are you getting your fuel? Have you examined a used filter when removed? Any improvement on same day, same conditions after a new filter is installed?

Possibly there is a problem with the fuel primer itself, leaking air and causing the surge.

DmaxMaverick
03-18-2006, 12:58
At 20

DIESELMAX403
03-19-2006, 15:12
Mark,

I am very picky about where I get my fuel. I usually fill up at a station that turns over a high volume of diesel. If I am forced to use a smaller station, I'll examine the diesel closely and if the oder is foul or the color is off, I pump just enough to make it to a better station. My station of choice is usually a Shell even if the price is higher.

As far as the fuel filter, it has 8500 miles on it and when I change it, I will examine it. Thanks for the reply.

DmaxMaverick,

Thanks for the info. I will check my gas cap and install a new filter. Also I was planning on installing a bleeder valve with a hose. Thanks for the link.