PDA

View Full Version : PO 401 & P 1409

Fredeberle
08-06-2004, 10:23
Just get an OBD II scanner to play with and last night the truck sets these codes. :mad:
401(EGR flow insufficient) 1409(EGR vacuum system leak). Looks like the old line from the turbo solenoid was loose,have the turbo master installed.
Vacuum from pump is 21 in. but now my question:
the 98GM manual says to check after the EGR solenoid it has to be hooked up to a scan tool to command EGR solenoid to 100 percent duty cycle to get a vacuum reading.
Also after repairs the EGR ALM(adaptive learn matrix)cells have to be reset(special functions in scan tool) :confused:
Does this have to go to the dealer or does someone have any suggestions how to get around that?
Thanks for any help,
Fred

diesel65
08-06-2004, 14:26
I don't understand why your getting EGR codes if you have a 2500 series truck.
Do you have a EGR valve?

Turbine Doc
08-06-2004, 21:29
There is a HD & LD version of the 2500 the LD has the EGR, also I think maybe a California emissions 2500 exists also.

If you know somebody with a Snap On MT2500 scanner I think they should be able to help reset that stuff it's what I use on my 98. Most non dealer shops have these as they are less $$$ than T2 but aren't as capable either do about 90% ofwhat T2 does I guess(never played with T2 myself emphasis is on guess part) , can be found reasonable still on ebay make sure you get a cartridge that covers your year though.

Fredeberle
08-07-2004, 08:55
Got lucky. :D
Must have been that loose turbo solenoid line cause this morning the computer wiped out the codes. smile.gif
Guess I don't need the EGR ALM reset. At least not at this time.
Going to seal that solenoid fitting for sure!
Tim,
Thanks for the info on that snap on 2500 but those things are way to technical for someone like me. I barely can get around this computer.
Thanks to this site getting me started on learning about these 6.5s I just saved myself
$180.-270. I know the dealer would have charged me that!
Fred