PDA

View Full Version : Wont start

Hillbilly Jim
03-19-2006, 07:40
My 2001 dmax started fine this AM ran about 2 min. to move and hook up l wifes trailer. shut off. when went to restart NOTHING no electrical. Disconnect battery , they seemed good only month old. reconnect, tried to start. Motor now hits for 1/2 sec then dies. Door ajar bell is weak, not very loud.
All electrical now works. Just wont start, although it turns over plenty strong. Fuel filter is new model with 3000 miles have fuel when open valve.
Will be gone until 4 this pm.
Any idea
Thanks
Hiollbilly Jim

stumo
03-19-2006, 08:17
Sounds like it's still electical to me. Try hooking up only 1 of the 2 batteries as one of them may have an internal short drawing the other down. A dmax engine will start on 1 good battery. If the system voltage is too low some of the microprocessor controlled items may not be functioning and thus a no start. My guess is you are due for new batteries on a 2001 model anyway.

stumo

Hillbilly Jim
03-19-2006, 16:47
Got home and started up first time starter engaged.
Batteries are only two month old. I agree its electrical and probably a bad battery, I am worried there is some kind of fusible link somewhere I dont know about.
Thanks for the info
Hillbilly Jim

JohnC
03-20-2006, 08:41
I am worried there is some kind of fusible link somewhere I dont know about.

Fusable links don't fix themselves. I'd take real close look at all the connections between the batteries, starter and engine grounds.

oyazi
03-20-2006, 11:10
Seems related to hooking up the wifes trailer? Did you plug in an electrical connector as part of the hooking up?

stumo
03-20-2006, 19:22
Got home and started up first time starter engaged.
Batteries are only two month old. I agree its electrical and probably a bad battery, I am worried there is some kind of fusible link somewhere I dont know about.
Thanks for the info
Hillbilly Jim

I've seen lots of 01-02 trucks with corrosion where the positive battery cable connects to the mega-fuse at the underhood bussed electrical center. Probably worth a look-see if nothing else is found.

stumo

Hillbilly Jim
03-20-2006, 20:36
Replaced the passenger side battery to day, shop said it had a bad cell. It was only two months old.
I would like to blame my wife's trailer, but I am not that dumb.
When snow and rain stops I plan on checking all connections as I am not sure what could cause nothing availabe electrically, then enough power to try to start then 9 hours later it started fine. Today it gave no indication of any problem.
Who knows?
Thanks for the answers.
Hillbilly Jim