PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Exaust System

fire22dirver
03-19-2006, 12:47
How about some opinions on a total exhaust upgrade. What is a good size? Manufacture? Cat-back single or dual? Looking for performance/ not so much sound (that

Tough Guy
03-19-2006, 14:27
[QUOTE=fire22dirver]How about some opinions on a total exhaust upgrade. What is a good size? Manufacture? Cat-back single or dual? Looking for performance/ not so much sound (that

cowboywildbill
03-19-2006, 16:54
Hi Brother, we have the banks monster 4". It helps lower EGT's, but it does have a little drone in the cab at about 1800 rpm in a pull. Banks sent us a newer style muffler that was supposed to have less drone noise, and it did help, but there is still enough to notice in the cab. Our truck is pre cat so I don't know how much difference that makes. Good luck.

Kennedy
03-19-2006, 18:59
What model year truck are we dealing with here?

tanker
03-19-2006, 19:01
I bought mine from John Kennedy, aluminumized, not stainless. Had about the same type on my 95 suburban. I like the sound and it seems to breathe a lot easier. I went from the turbo back.
Oh yeah, our cat died about the same time.

fire22dirver
03-22-2006, 16:49
Driving a '05' Crew, D-max (of course). I live in WV where we have a yearly state inspection, and the cat is required to pass. How much difference does a cat back vs turbo back. So far my mods include Air Aid filter/intake tude, and Boost Stick (baby steps)

lfytsmith
03-22-2006, 16:51
Kennedy does not sell a 4". They do sell a 3.5" aluminized system. I ordered mine almost 3 weeks ago and have now idea where it is. If you want a 4" you may want to look at SSDIESEL.com. They sell a 4" stainless steel system for the sames price as kennedy's 3.5". I have ordered other parts from ssdiesel and received what I ordered.

rsparks
03-22-2006, 17:04
What year did they add the cat?

Kennedy
03-22-2006, 18:57
Kennedy does not sell a 4". They do sell a 3.5" aluminized system. I ordered mine almost 3 weeks ago and have now idea where it is. If you want a 4" you may want to look at SSDIESEL.com. They sell a 4" stainless steel system for the sames price as kennedy's 3.5". I have ordered other parts from ssdiesel and received what I ordered.

We are talking Duramax here not 6.5. I'm sorry your exhaust system has been delayed. I would have preferred to hear about it in person rather than public, but I answered your comment in the other thread. As I stated, my exhaust systems ship direct from my contract bender and I am out of the loop. I was not aware that there was a shortage on the 6.5 turbo pipe until just recently.

Now onto Dmax exhaust. My opinion is that doing a cat back is a waste of time/money. There will be those who disagree, but the extra bends, twists, and cat media are quite restrictive. In a situation where emissions inspections are a concern, I typically suggest a system from Magnaflow or MBRP (I sell both) where the front pipe bolts in. That way you can swap in if necessary.

fire22dirver
03-25-2006, 10:23
As you stated, the front pipe unbolts to change out, does this mean from the muffler foward, or for the entire system? Do you list these systems on your web site?

State laws are such pain in the A**

Kennedy
03-25-2006, 13:48
What year truck are we dealing with?

A typical cat back system starts above and slightly behind the T-bar crossmember at the 4 bolt flange (pre-2006) and the turbo pipe blots right in place of the OE pipe. I've been lax about listing the MBRP stuff on my site, but I suppose I should get on it!