PDA

View Full Version : Would this work as oil bypass filter?

atom_c
03-19-2006, 22:15
I am thinking of going to a remote oil filter mount and a bypass filter would be a bonus. Would this work? Start with a Perma-cool spin on oil filter adapter (#114). Next get a multiport single filter mount(#1793 has 2 inlets/2 outlets). Put the 1/2" main oil line from adapter into inlet #1 and out of outlet #1 back to adapter. Reduce inlet #2 (same pressure at this point right?) down to 1/4" and run 1/4" line through a Perma-cool Transmission filter mount (#5021 3/4"-16 thread) with a bypass filter. The transmission filter mount already has 1/4" NPT inlet/outlet so I would not need to reduce that one. I would plug outlet #2 on the main multiport filter mount. I would then put the 1/4" outlet line from the bypass filter into a "T" in my 1/2" main return line going back to the engine. It seems I would have "some" oil go through the bypass filter and "most" go through the main remote filter. Fluid dynamics is not my forte. Would any oil go though the bypass filter? Would this work?

Thanks in advance.

BobND
03-19-2006, 23:00
If you want a basic bypass filter, get a WIX # 24755 bypass filter base.

This will accept a choice of 3 WIX bypass filters, # 51050, # 51051, or # 53120. They are listed in order of increasing physical height, from 3.75" to 5.4".

The bypass flow restriction oriface is in the actual SPIN-ON FILTER, not the base, so it is a pre-set deal. I don't have any "spec's" on flow rates.

I have a setup sitting around, that I never seem to find time to install, so I can't tell you what effect, if any, it will have on oil pressure.

http://ndtc3500.stellarnet.com/~blweltin/Bob/WIX.jpg

CareyWeber
03-20-2006, 07:55
The restrictor in my Dr Lee By-pass oil filter system is 1/16" and I still have great oil pressure even with +205K miles on my 6.5TD after driving +3 hrs I still have 48 to 58 psi.

Someone suggested to use carb jets as the restrictor that way it was easy to increase or decrease the size, but I'm happy with 1/16" restrictor I have in both of my Dr Lee By-pass systems that are in my 6.5TD and my Scout's SD33.

Carey

nvmtnlion
03-20-2006, 09:15
I have heard these mentioned before curiousity has got the best of me,

What is a Dr. Lee bypass oil setup?

Hubert
03-20-2006, 19:50
I am no expert but here is my $0.02.

Sorry to say I don't think it would work much at all. Your filters would essentially be in parallel. Flow would take the path of least resistance through the primary filter. To go through the bypass the pressure differential accross the primary would have to be greater than pushing oil through the orifice restriction plus the restriction of the bypass filter. Once flowing through the primary filter, oil will pressurize the line back to the block and may only be a few psi lower than line going into the primary. The bypass with orifices would probably require additional pressure drop to ensure correct flow direction through the bypass filter and "T".

The wix bypass filter appears rated for approx. 1-3 GPM. The primary should be rated for approximate 9-11 gpm.

I think you want the bypass filter routed inline or in series with the primary to force flow direction. The trick is to balance the bypass pressure relief and flow to the expected pressure drop accross the bypass filter element and the appropriate flowrate for the bypass filter. All while ensuring flow is not restricted too much.

FYI keep your remote lines as short as possible. I'll assume your truck is a 4x4. When I did mine the permacool base adapter (at engine) w/ the 1/2 npt ports were a little tricky to mount hoses to. It gets pretty close to the front drive u joint elbows and angles will be required. (I used JIC hydaulic fittings and they are a bit long.)

I have seen what looks like an easier to use adapter that attaches to the block with a banjo bolt like the OE 4x4 adapter and the ports come out the side. This style you can point which ever way works best.

CareyWeber
03-21-2006, 07:11
I have heard these mentioned before curiousity has got the best of me,

What is a Dr. Lee bypass oil setup?

nvmtnlion,

Dr Lee did the install on his truck and did a write-up on it for the Diesel Page in about 1998 or so.

Basically the setup is a hydraulic return line filter head and filter that uses a Donaldson P551550 filter (ps Baldwin now makes this filter too BT8502)which is rated at 3 microns. Tap into the oil circuit above the oil filter (there are other places that will work) and return to the pan he did this via an intake manifold bolt drilled length ways (I did it the same way). The restrictor is to ensure that you maintain oil pressure without the restrictor you will lose most if not all oil psi. The filter needs to be a very fine filter that slowly filters the oil. I change the P551550 filter at each oil change. IIRC Dr Lee said this setup is not as good as true ??depth?? bypass filter, but he did say it was good and less $$$.

If I could afford I'd love to have a Spiiner II setup, but they are $$$$$$.

http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/catalog.html

Atom_c,

If I understand your flow correct it will only work if you place a restrictor in the output of the by-pass filter. The restrictor can be in the filter like BobND suggested.

Carey

nvmtnlion
03-21-2006, 10:17
Thank you Carey, that helps me visualize what was being discussed. I appreciate it!

atom_c
03-21-2006, 21:46
Sounds like if I wanted my idea to work I would need to run maybe a 1/16th" line out of my bypass. Instead of putting it back into my main oil return line, I would run it up and return it to the engine as described by Carey. This would rob some of my oil pressure so I would need to make sure I got the restriction correct. It would flow through my bypass pushed by full oil pressure and only slowed by the bypass filter element and restriction in line size. I have well over 40 lbs oil pressure on my stock gauge. Would this drop my oil pressure too much? I suppose if it did I could easily plug the bypass off and rethink.

Thanks for all the ideas!