PDA

View Full Version : Ground Straps

wfyehl
03-20-2006, 10:12
I notice this weekend that the ground strap from the rear of the passenger head to the frame is severed. No problem, or so I thought. I go to Autozone and buy a ground strap in the Help! section. Well, that strap is about 5 inches too short to be hooked up to the frame.

Where can I get a ground strap long enough (20" - 22"). NAPA didn't have one, and the Help! ones are only one length. Currently, I bolted the other end of the ground strap to one of the starter bolts (It should work since it is directly bolted to the block). Is there another place to use on the block to bolt these shorter grounding straps?

BTW - the GM parts departments weren't open on Saturday when I was trying to fix this.

I did attempt to search for this, but no mention (that I could find) was made where to purchase said ground straps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bill

Hubert
03-20-2006, 11:08
Are you only looking for the braided no insulation wire?

I have seen black battery leads in nearly any length that would suit the application. Right now its probably grounding back to drivers side battery.

Some add additional grounding wires. I bought the side post screw that you can also add another line to. Drivers side I go to the body. Passenger side I go to this back node you found broken.

wfyehl
03-20-2006, 11:25
Yes, I mean the braided bare wire. I thought about the generic battery cables that you can get anywhere, but I wouldn't want these type of cables running close to the exhaust. It would seem that the bare stranded grounding straps would work best close to the exhaust.

Thanks,
Bill

BobND
03-20-2006, 11:49
WAY overkill, but heavy-duty truck (semi) dealers or service centers usually have all kinds of BIG battery cables, and likely ground straps.

Here's an "on-line" source:

http://www.valu-bilt.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0101.exe

BobND
03-20-2006, 11:52
Sorry, that did not link directly to the battery cables.

wfyehl
03-20-2006, 12:55
Will there be a problem connecting it to the starter? Or is that a feasible place to connect to instead of the head connector?

Bill