PDA

View Full Version : bio diesel...

ambulancechser
03-20-2006, 18:36
would appreciate hearing from anyones personal experience with bio-diesel and/or WVO in thier 6.2.Seems to be little info or perhaps i'm not looking in the right places. Thanks in advance.:)

bmiszuk
03-20-2006, 19:25
This forum is a good place to be for biodiesel and WVO info. http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee/forums. I have also found Dana Linscott to be helpful. His site is here http://vegoilconversions.netfirms.com/.

I've played with WVO. It has been a significant hassle. I did all the work myself and spent $500+ for the parts. I've enjoyed limited returns and have not yet paid back my initial investment. Partially this is because I did not properly engineer my system to run in cold Omaha weather. In warmer weather it worked well enough. Note: in warm weather it takes me about 7-8 miles to get the truck warm enough to switch over to WVO. I cannot run on oil before that time.

Note that you risk damaging your fuel system and/or your engine if the system is not working properly. Injecting cold oil or oil with water in it can cause troubles. I am reasonably sure that I killed my IP by being stupid. I did not have the truck and the oil up to proper operating temp when I got on the highway, then I shifted down to 3rd (from D) to get the rpm's up. I think the combination of cold oil and high RPM's siezed my pump.

I am willing to experiment with WVO because (1) I'm playing with my backup vehicle which is 23 years old, (2) I have two sources of oil and (3) I can do the work myself. But there's been a lot to learn and many modifications I've made to my system over time to try to improve it.

So, if you're interested, look at the infopop forums. Read, read, and then read some more!

Hope it helps some.

Bob

ZZ
03-21-2006, 06:18
Don't give up on your IP till you change the fuel filter. From what I can gather; we don't need to run Bio in the 6.2 without a fuel filter upgrade. The Bio stops up the factory filters quickly.

poolmike
03-21-2006, 06:37
My friend George and myself are in the planning stages of a biodiesel processor. We have a good, high volume source for some high quality WVO. I am planning on running it in my 6.2 Jeep when it is built and a 50/50 blend in my Sprinter. George has an old Benz diesel that he can run on it. We both plan on heating our homes with it. My wife and I live in a 70 year old house that is 'drafty' on its best day, so it consumes a fair amount of wood and oil in the winter for heat.

Anywho, I say go for the biofuel. I wouldn't put much effort into running on SVO, like Bob said... it will take toooo long for the engine to warm up to gain much if anything.

Duncan Sterling
03-21-2006, 06:55
would appreciate hearing from anyones personal experience with bio-diesel and/or WVO in thier 6.2.Seems to be little info or perhaps i'm not looking in the right places. Thanks in advance.:)

I'd recommend BioD over straight WVO. Everyone I know who's run WVO has run into one headache or another (lots of plugged fuel filters, even after tank cleaning).

I've been running B20 blend for about 6 months now in my Suburban, pickup (both 6.2s), and MB turbo (2.5).

All three vehicles have responded very well to this blend with no trouble. Less smoke, quieter/smoother running, better throttle response and smell.

No complaints whatsoever. I'm actually looking into building or buying a BioD reactor so I can make my own. A friend of mine has been running anywhere from B100 to B20 in his Jetta TDI for almost 2 years now and hasn't had any trouble either.

If you want to run those high concentration blends in a 6.2 (above B20), you'll need to change your fuel lines and injector return lines to viton (synthetic rubber), google for availability, but this shouldn't be hard to find or cost too much.

Also be ready to change fuel filters for awhile while all the built up crud in your fuel tank breaks loose (or just run the tank to empty and have it dropped and cleaned) as BioD has a powerful detergent effect.

Good Luck with running BioD.

ambulancechser
03-21-2006, 15:56
Thanks much...any info on the effects that bio has on the IP seals?
My m-1010 has only 18,000 original km's on it,i'd hate to have to rebuild the IP after only a few years or less.
I'm aware of the required change to viton,but have little info on the pump seals.There was a rumour that the military pumps were already toughened up to take low lubricity and/or fuels with more gunk dissolving ability,like jet-A or #1.confirmation would be cool.
Thanks everyone.

Duncan Sterling
03-21-2006, 21:30
Thanks much...any info on the effects that bio has on the IP seals?
My m-1010 has only 18,000 original km's on it,i'd hate to have to rebuild the IP after only a few years or less.
I'm aware of the required change to viton,but have little info on the pump seals.There was a rumour that the military pumps were already toughened up to take low lubricity and/or fuels with more gunk dissolving ability,like jet-A or #1.confirmation would be cool.
Thanks everyone.

I don't think the seals should be an issue, based on everything I've read/heard. This would probably be even more true for the military pump with the hardened seals.