PDA

View Full Version : more smoke and fuel leak

CJ_4
03-20-2006, 19:29
not too long ago i bought a air filter from auto zone and took my stock air box assembly off. a few days before i had my fuel filter replaced. i didnt really get in to the throttle till after i put the air filter on, but when i got into it then, i noticed more black smoke than before. again, not sure if the fuel filter was the cause of the more smoke, cleaner filter = more fuel = more smoke. other than that, seemed to run fine. yesterday i was tryin to make a home made mechanical wastegate to eliminate the factory vacuum operated wastegate and keep 10 psi throughout the rpm range at WOT. when i did, i capped the original vacuum line to keep from reading a low boost code (i saw where someone had done this). after experimenting and getting the boost where i wanted it, i noticed a fuel leak. mech. says it looks like a line goin to the fuel filter, and says it's gettin worse. could this just be a result of age on the line, or could cappin the vacuum line have caused some sort of unnatural strain on somethin? i'm lost. thanks for any help

More Power
03-21-2006, 10:40
The fuel leak is likely a separate issue. Could be just a loose clamp. The fuel filter assy should be under 4-8 psi of fuel pressure when the engine is running.

Jim

moondoggie
03-22-2006, 11:08
Good Day!

From the lack of responses, I would guess no one's run into this particular problem yet. Please let us know what you find, which will help anyone else who runs into the same thing in the future.

My junk all leak so much that my concrete driveway mostly looks like asphalt. I can't take time to fix a leak unless it's gotten so bad that it's really no problem at all to find.

Thanks & Blessings!

CJ_4
03-24-2006, 19:01
well, the mech. at the shop said the fuel line connecting to the fuel filter was rubber, and it was supposed to be steel. well, he took the intake manifold off and replaced it. guess what. it still leaks. says it could be the ip, or it could just be a gasket around it or somethin, he ain't quite sure. gotta take it to another shop that specializes more in diesels. i'll update ya'll when we solve the problem

ees
03-26-2006, 16:39
I had a heck of a time with fuel leaks on my truck. It got so I was able to get the manifold off REALLY quickly. There are quite a few rubber lines on the engine both feed and return. If the engine is dirty it will be very hard to find. I was able to find one leak by dumping baby powder on the radiator fan while it was running. It made my engine fully white, but then helped me find the wet spots. Not very manly smelling however.

Good luck!

CJ_4
04-06-2006, 19:06
i still havent gotten it fixed. mechanics think its the injection pump. havent got a chance to get it to another shop that can fix it yet

Bnave95
04-07-2006, 02:14
i still havent gotten it fixed. mechanics think its the injection pump. havent got a chance to get it to another shop that can fix it yet
With the intake off he or any one could of started the truck and let it run to see more what was going on. Did they try this?

CJ_4
04-09-2006, 17:13
With the intake off he or any one could of started the truck and let it run to see more what was going on. Did they try this?
i dont think they did. first shop didnt say anything about doin that. its goin in another shop tuesday that works mainly on diesels, they should know how to find out exactly where the leak is located.

CJ_4
04-19-2006, 18:18
well i got my truck back from the mech. all it was was just a very small hole in the fuel line at the ip goin to cylinder #2. also, he said the injection pump was so loose you could move it with your hand. he tightened that up and now it runs like a charm. smokes black a whole lot less now, more like it did when i bought my truck.