PDA

View Full Version : Pure Power Oil Filters

wthif
03-21-2006, 10:42
Hi Dr. Lee,

I was wondering if you have ever run across pure power cleanable oil filters? If so what is your opinion? Are they worth it other than the cost?

www.gopurepower.com
(http://www.gopurepower.com/)

Are any of their clams about paper oil filters true?

Thanks,
Thomas

Dr. Lee
03-23-2006, 11:38
When I read the comment about the "paper filter":

[quote]5 Micron Material Oil is 12 Microns; it can

CleviteKid
03-23-2006, 11:39
Yeah, you tell 'em, Doc.

JeepSJ
03-23-2006, 17:35
I find it humorous that they talk about oil being 12 microns, then they go on to say that their 25 micron filter will actually filter down to 5 microns. So, somehow a big hole will catch a smaller particle, and it won't catch a 12 micron molecule of oil?

DmaxMaverick
03-23-2006, 23:34
If it walks like a duck........

I don't disagree with any comments above (how odd??).
The "technology" used in these filters is not new, nor do I think they will have it patented. You can get a "patent pending" status for anything, and it doesn't mean the patent will ever be issued.

On the technology.....
The woven SS media is OLD school. Bendix (or was it Vickers?) patented this back in the 1940's (IIRC, or maybe earlier??). It is the main method of filtering hydraulic and engine systems on military (and civilian) aircraft, even today. Very effective down to sub-micron, but there is a catch. You can't just "clean" it. You need specialized equipment. A tric solvent high pressure circulator, with an ultrasonic agitator, at a minimum. There is more sophistocated equipment available, but not likely available to the general public. BTW, you can't buy tric (trichloroethane) at your local hardware store. Other solvents can be used, but none are 1/2 as effective.

You'd be better off with the toilet paper filter system (not that I think that one's any better). At least with that, you can get more media without leaving a crater in your hip pocket.

JohnC
03-24-2006, 11:12
...Awarded the first International New Product Award by a prestigious jury comprised of leading international journalists.

Well, they ought to know... ;)

trbankii
03-24-2006, 12:35
[Chris Rock voice]Well, the media certainly knows what it is doing...[/Chris Rock voice]

:p

twaddle
03-28-2006, 01:31
Quote from GoPurePower in their brochure, "Most oil filters have a bypass that operates in "bypass" mode all of the time."

I think there is a strong case for the BIG filter manufacturers to be interested in that statement (along with others) and pass it onto their lawyers.
If the bypass valves were open all of the time our turboes and main bearings would not last very long at all.

I detect a strong smell of BS.

I'll stick with the old paper mediums thank you.

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland

kconnair
03-28-2006, 22:01
http://www.parker.com/RACOR/IMAGES/SERIES/ENGLISH/LFS-REMOTE-LFS60.JPG

As an Oberg filter, I have had these on several street driven cars as well as my autocross car. with the optional 2 stage filter system (coarse screen first, followed by a fine screen) I had pretty good filter life (up to 4k miles before the bypass light would start to flicker).

Even the very best pleated media filter starts to bypass sometime around 50 hours run time - a fact verified during filter testing in the '80's by AC/Delco. Many would start to open the bypass in under 20 minutes of run time (even with a relatively clean engine)
The specific information on the AC test is no longer readily available, but here is some related information about pleated paper media filters.

Oil filter comparisons (http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html)
More "paper" filter information (http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html)
Oil Filters Revisited (http://www.mgnoc.com/_overlay/Archives/oil_filters.htm)

It was a pain in the ass at first when I started using the Oberg filters since the bypass would start to open up after a very short time, even with a brand new engine. Eventually I would get cleaning intervals which matched my oil change intervals. I just had to be patient. They just don't have the filter area (or depth) of a pleated filter.

I have Never ever had a problem cleaning the filter screen. I just used a glycol ether based cleaner (like gunk engine brite), and then after blotting it with a paper towel, rinsed with very hot water in the sink. Now that I have a house with a septic system, I don't do that any more. Carburetor cleaners seem to work pretty well.

The military abandoned chlorinated solvents for cleaning filter systems years ago. Where SS mesh filters are used in aircraft now, conventional cleaning means are used to clean them. There are a wide variety of solvents used now - (mostly alcohols, actually) which do a good job. In addition, we save the ultrasound stuff to clean small weapons system parts using an aqueous cleaner (mild caustic).

Here is the Oberg filter - now manufactured by the Racor division of Parker Automotive - They make some pretty good filters don't they? I believe several people have recommended their diesel fuel filtering systems.

Parker/RACORL FS REMOTE MOUNT FULL-FLOW SERIES (used to be OBERG) (http://www.parker.com/EAD/displayCatalog.asp?menu_parkerid=46&menu_gid=3&menu_divid=109&catid=9827&catdesc=LFS%20REMOTE%20MOUNT%20FULL-FLOW%20SERIES)

On the other hand, I have never used one with a diesel engine.

I don't know anything about the GoPurePower filter, but I would not be too critical of some text on the website. A lot of this information is done by either a PR or Ad agency, and may have some factual inconsistancies. An engineer or scientist would not likely have made that kind of error (possible, but not likely)

Just my opinion with a few facts sprinkled in - your mileage may vary.

Kevin.
'84 6.2l "j" 3/4 ton Sub 300k+ miles. about to get a turbo. :) :cool:
used to have a 6.2 in an '86 1/2 ton Sub (wife's truck), but a woman in a Hundai turned in front of her and Totaled the truck. - still fighting the woman's insurance company 1 1/2 years later. :mad: