PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the nay sayers gone?

D-max Man
03-22-2006, 09:58
I have been doing PR work for GM Power train & GMC Trucks for the Duramax for the past 6 years now. I have noticed that most of the loud, arrogant, in-your-face propaganda that was rampant against the Duramax in the early years has all but gone away.

I remember doing shows back in the summer of 2000 and having people come up to me and say that "There is no way a diesel engine with aluminum heads can hold up" and "GM will never be able to run with Ford/Dodge".

I even had a guy tell me in July of 2000 that he "has a friend with a Duramax that had already put 3 sets of heads on it". Of course I informed him that they wouldn't go on sale until October 2000 but he insisted that he was right.

In November 2000 (2 months after they went on the market) I was on the other side of the country and had a different guy tell me the same line, "his buddy had 3 sets of heads on a Duramax already". I informed him that for the first 6 months, GM was replacing the entire engine if there was a problem (Not just the heads) but he insisted he was telling the truth.

I read all the horror stories on competitive websites (Before I was kicked off for trying to correct the rumors) and how the Duramax was "JUNK' and "Wouldn't be able to stay together".

I even had a guy ask me "what GM was going to do when Ford came out with the G2 Powerstroke sense the Duramax was already putting out all the power it could just to beat the current Powerstroke?

Brad Pelot
03-22-2006, 10:47
I still run into a few of the over bearing kind that still insist on bashing th D-Max but not near as many as there were in start. As one of the "early" owners (I got my first one in october of 2000, I ordered it the first day that I could thanks to the goood info I got from the diesel page) I have heard it all. Oh, vindication is sweet!

SoTxPollock
03-22-2006, 11:16
Congratulations DMAXMAN, I bet those guys wouldn't try to bluff you in a poker game. When we work with facts the truth is not far away. I was at a local Chevy dealer for my recall new fuel filter last friday. The service manager is someone I've known for about 10 years and I played a few dances with him. He's a drumer, I'm a picker, anyhow I asked him how things were with the diesels? He commented that the 6.5's still had their electrical grimlins and pump problems, but those duramaxes they just don't come back in. We live in a rural community where most of the owners are farmers and ranchers and they do their own maintenence so I never get to see them again unless they come by like you to get your free fuel filter.

16gaSxS
03-22-2006, 11:20
I am glad of the success that the DuraBux has had. I only have 2 issues with it. The engine option is too pricey (IMNSO) but I'm a cheap skate second only to Moondoggie.

2. GM didn't follow through with the V-6 version for 1/2 ton and Tahoes and "burbans. The CEO of GM should be casterated for that IMNHO. Not all of use folks that want a Good Diesel want or need 300+hp and 500+ FTLBS.

My 6.5 keeps doing the job I ask of it 9 years and 204,000 miles later.

I'm glad the real PIA guys have been silenced, I think it's too bad Ford has had so many problems with their 6.0 PowerBroke. I would rather see the makers compete on Quality, reliablity , ecconoomy and LAST power.

rob from bc canada
03-22-2006, 15:08
If anyone wanted to run down the DMAX you would think they would take the trouble to update their facts.

1) The real problem has been injectors, not heads.

2) GM has been good about dealing with this under warranty except for 03-04 owners, who seem to be left out.

3) For owners who have LB7's the engine design makes these injectors unusually expensive to replace, once the warranty runs out.

If I had an 03-04 LB7 I'd be concerned with that.

We don't know yet how the 04.5 plus LLY injectors will do, and how expensive they will be to replace.

Besides for that, the reliability seems to be excellent

Mark Rinker
03-22-2006, 15:32
My Duramax's run around our town and area everyday - nearly 100% of the time with gooseneck in tow with skidsteers, lumber, steel, etc. on the back.

I love out-accelerating F-150s from the stoplight - with the trailer. I love passing Dodge's so noisy and rattly that you can see the guy's teeth shaking while you listen to CDs with the windows up.

Sometimes when the opportunity is right, and its not threatening anyone in traffic, I'll let the Allison grade braking do my deceleration when another diesel is in my taillights. Only a few taps of the brakes and then using the trailer brake controller to bring 22K lbs to a stop.

Keep 'em wondering. I bought another one today and will be running them until they aren't available (new or used) anymore!

7.4 VORTEC
03-22-2006, 16:39
I think that so much of what is thougth about GM diesels still comes from knuckleheads only remembering the 5.7 Oldsmobile gas to diesel motor. I still get questions from people regarding my 6.5TD and if its a re-done gas motor. Jeez, that was 20 some years ago.

The one thing the Japanese did well compared to USA automakers is sell their new products to places where bad publicity isn't going to effect USA car sales. Almost all of the Toyota trucks/SUV's were sold for at least one year in countries like Australia, South East Asia, South Africa, etc. Test them on the small market first, work out the bugs, then ship them to the USA. Hmmm, what a concept.

A lot of people will always look at a GM diesel and compare it to a ugly school girl that grows up to be a super model. All they continue to say is "yeah, but in 2nd grade, she was ugly". Today, she's a hot super model. Thats how I see the DuraMax. Yeah Baby!!!!!!!

George

D-max Man
03-22-2006, 20:31
2. GM didn't follow through with the V-6 version for 1/2 ton and Tahoes and "burbans. The CEO of GM should be casterated for that IMNHO. Not all of use folks that want a Good Diesel want or need 300+hp and 500+ FTLBS.

Don't give up hope on that V-6 D-Max yet, rumor has it that GM is doing some testing on them at the Proving Grounds now.

The one I saw 5 years ago was a 5.0 liter but I hear that this one may be a 4.2 liter. :D

Dave
03-23-2006, 03:43
I saw the Power tour in 2000 in Jacksonville FL. I placed an order the first day they would take one for the 01. Got mine in Dec 00, a loaded crew cab doolley. The very best truck I have ever owned to date. It ran flawlessly, never broke down. It had over 130,000 trobule free miles when I traded it for the 05 Crew cab doolley wich is the worst truck I have ever had the misfortune to own. The 05 has really only one issue it over heats when you try to pull a trailer. I do not believe GM did all the cooling system testing for the LLY like they did before they released the LB7.

At any rate GMC is making it right. They know they cant fix my 05 so they are replacing it with an 06. I should have the 06 Early next week.

Tsckey
03-23-2006, 16:46
Another thing I

Mr. D
03-25-2006, 23:03
REAL diesel lovers see the value in all the brands of diesel trucks if they are objective. If not, they are just rooting for their team! When I bought my first Duramax I missed the 21 mpg I got with my Cummins. With my '06, I got 20 mpg, an Allison, independent front 4x4 suspension, and a lot more power! I don't miss the Cummins any more! Now just lower diesel prices and I'll be happy! ;)

spongebob
03-31-2006, 12:25
the nay sayers have moved on to bringing down president bush and our war on terror..

More Power
04-01-2006, 13:44
I visited a Dodge diesel bulletin board a couple of weeks ago to do a little research on another topic.... I found that ignorance is still very much alive and well - concerning the Duramax 6600 and the GM HD trucks.... :rolleyes:

Jim

Quack_Addict
04-03-2006, 06:43
D-Max Man -

That 4.2L 6-pack Diesel... does the rumor stipulate an inline or a V cylinder configuration? I wouldn't be surprised to see it inline... pulling a few design cues from the 4.2L GM uses in the Trailblazer / Envoy.

D-max Man
04-03-2006, 07:59
I don't know which it is - The one I saw in 2001 was a V-6 but it was a 5.0 liter.