PDA

View Full Version : EGT and Boost question

jeffscarstrucks
03-23-2006, 15:14
I finally bought some gauges and was wondering what an acceptable range of boost is for a stock 93 6.5 with 150k on it is? I'm fairly sure that right now there is not much so I need to have a good base to start with. Hopefully I'll get the time to install them next week. (Any thoughts on the turbo master?)
I also would like to know if installing the EGT thermocouple in the drivers side of the cross over pipe about an inch below the manifold would be an accurate reading of pre-turbo temps. I have a new one to install and it makes it easy to do while the pipe is on the bench. Thanks , JEFF

charliepeterson
03-23-2006, 21:09
If the truck has no intercooler than 10#'s of sustained boost is good. The location you want for the probe is a good one. If you drill while the truck is running the chips should be blown out instead of falling in.
After the probe is working you can play with more or less boost if you install the Turbo Master. More boost without an intercooler really heats up the intake air which will heat up the EGT's on the guage as well, you'll see.

jspringator
03-24-2006, 09:25
What if you have an intercooler? 12 lbs.?

jeffscarstrucks
03-27-2006, 20:15
Thanks for the replies...and on a related note; I am trying to figure out what the most accurate and out of the way location is for the boost gauge in-put to be installed. (If there is a search on this please let me know!). Is there a magic method to keep fillings and drill shavings from entering the intake or is it just better to remove the top plate from the intake. Thanks, JEFF

.....Now my search worked on "boost install" and I think I have my answers, Thanks, JEFF

gerry1
03-27-2006, 22:44
Play it safe and pull the upper intake. I put mine dead center of intake plenum. Not much metal there to tap threads though.

ronniejoe
03-28-2006, 14:19
What if you have an intercooler? 12 lbs.?

You're safe to 20 psi intercooled, in my opinion. The stock turbo will only be able to do that below about 2700 rpm, though.

john8662
03-28-2006, 14:57
I vote to keep the boost below 12psi either intercooled or not with stock C/R!