PDA

View Full Version : Irtermittent low coolant warning

jpaitala
03-24-2006, 09:24
I get the low coolant warning light every day once in a while... There is right amount of coolant in the overflow container at all times. Is this a signal of something else than dead sensor??

Thanks.

rjwest
03-25-2006, 16:14
When I have the truck camper loaded, and wired up,Extra Batteries and lights etc. I get the 'low coolant' light
when I step on the brakes, ( intermittant )

Been that way for 2 years, gave up trying to fix...

Doug Thom
03-25-2006, 19:32
I once had the same problem and found that by adding a bit more coolant to the tank, the problem stopped. The coolant has to be a ways over the sensor in the tank.

mudnutt
03-25-2006, 21:24
Mine started doing that and i had a blown head gasket not to long after

TTM
03-25-2006, 21:41
Mine does the same thing to, I just add coolant and the light goes off. I think that during normal operating temps a certain amount of coolant evaporates off. My light goes offy every 6 months or so. It's been doing this for the last few years.

IBJB
03-25-2006, 22:29
Is there a heavy build-up of sludge/deposits inside the reservoir?

Two very common things go wrong with these:

1. Sludge/Rust build-up prevents float from moving in the tank. Remove and thoroughly clean tank. Not easy if it's not been done regularly.

Also not a good sign if the tank is heavily sludged or rust deposits.
Sludge=Oil/Combustion gas contamination or Incompatible coolant
Rust=Improper Coolant Ph

2. Sensor is bad. About $10.00 at the dealer (cost) and can be replaced easily w/tank inverted.

That covers about 95% of Coolant level light cases. Bad grounds (numerous locations) and loose connections at switch pretty much cover the rest.

Bnave95
03-26-2006, 02:49
Every Two years I do a cleaning flush, Pull Rad. Get the crap out,
GM has pills, 5 each that works.

schamp
03-26-2006, 07:35
You are not going to believe this but check your grounds. You might also add a ground wire from the radiator to the frame somewhere. Grounding the radiator is a good thing anyway. Might just be the sensor but ground the thing anyway. My .02