PDA

View Full Version : I heard a rumor, can anyone verify it? or not?

Claven
03-25-2006, 14:42
This is one of those rumors that you always hear,"a friend told me a dealership has 3 on the lot...blah blah blah...", anyways I'm not going to spread it. All I will say is its BAD and it involves glow plugs on the 2006's, it's a factory issue and IS covered under warranty. If it's true you'll know exaclty what I'm talking about. If no one here has heard it, then it's probably B.S. After all, this has got to be the best site for GM diesel info. So can anyone confirm this rumor to be true, or not?

If I go to this dealership, I will talk to the tech myself, and if he confirms it, I'll let you know the whole story.

More Power
03-25-2006, 20:19
Generally, first-person reports that list the dealership help produce a convincing story. Without verifiable info, I wouldn't consider it more than a rumor. :p

Jim

stumo
03-25-2006, 21:12
Are you talking about the recall on 2006's to reprogram the glow plug control module?

stumo

Claven
03-25-2006, 23:19
I'll got to dealership myself on monday and get back to you all, and I'll tell you the full rumor that I heard.

Kennedy
03-26-2006, 10:50
There is definitely truth to it, and there is an active campaign to correct it. The campaign simply involves re-programming the GPCM (glow plug control module) with a different calibration.

The reasoning is that the glow plugs are being electronically "overstressed" which can cause them to fail and cause engine damage.

I would guess that this issue is more common in CA and NE emissions group trucks as they may (my WAG) have longer cycles, and will see a campaign sticker applied upon completion.

Dealers have been instructed to seek out ALL stock and recently sold vehicles that may not be listed in the database yet...

hapaschold
03-26-2006, 17:05
hope dmax s leaving the factory are corrected????

Claven
03-26-2006, 23:48
Yes Kennedy, you hit the nail on the head (I figured you would), I was told the glow plugs are sticking on from the factory, melting, and then dropping onto the piston causing major engine damage, I still haven't confirmed it myself, but supposedly there are 3 duramax's with less than 60 miles on them and in need of motors sitting at Southfort chev in Fort Saskatchewan Alberta.

Mr. D
03-27-2006, 01:45
If '06's are at risk for glow plug damage why wouldn't GM want them in to a dealership in a hurry to save a very costly repair! My '06 is a 12/1/05 build and I haven't heard a word!

Anyone have any information on what trucks are involved?

hapaschold
03-27-2006, 03:55
was this problem with lbz and lly ? talked with a couple guys 06 s at the depot and lowes, they havent had a problem nor any recalls......both with lbz s.

Tractor
03-28-2006, 20:37
THIS THE TRUTH.. The glow plug issue on the 2006 DURAMX is for real. KENNEDY you are right. I,ve been checking in to this. A good buddy of mine traded off his 2002 Duramax around Christmas time and got a 2006 Duramax. I help him with the truck all the time. Went to the dealer today in Sheridan and checked into this. Well thursday morning we are going to have the glow plug control module reprogramed. His truck is listed on the dealers computer as one that has to be fixed. He has 5,000 miles on it as of today. He has made 3 trips to Denver to the doctor. He just hopes it holds togeather till thursday. I told him it won,t let us down. He is up to 14.8 mpg and it is a real nice truck. It is a dually and we need to find time to hook a good load and yank it down the road. I just wonder if the glow plugs themselves need to be checked. What do you think J Kennedy?
TRACTOR

JohnC
03-29-2006, 09:02
While I too have heard a lot of rumblings about glow plug disasters, My '06 (built 9-05, PR NY compliant) has NEVER (as far as I know) run the glow plugs for more than 2-3 seconds. Of course, we have had a very mild winter this year...

Does anyone know if ther is a date range that is affected, or any other info? what sort of recalibration are they doing?

I hear one report where it sounded like they just got stuck on, not just a longer than normal cycle.

Kennedy
03-30-2006, 06:22
THIS THE TRUTH.. The glow plug issue on the 2006 DURAMX is for real. KENNEDY you are right. I,ve been checking in to this. A good buddy of mine traded off his 2002 Duramax around Christmas time and got a 2006 Duramax. I help him with the truck all the time. Went to the dealer today in Sheridan and checked into this. Well thursday morning we are going to have the glow plug control module reprogramed. His truck is listed on the dealers computer as one that has to be fixed. He has 5,000 miles on it as of today. He has made 3 trips to Denver to the doctor. He just hopes it holds togeather till thursday. I told him it won,t let us down. He is up to 14.8 mpg and it is a real nice truck. It is a dually and we need to find time to hook a good load and yank it down the road. I just wonder if the glow plugs themselves need to be checked. What do you think J Kennedy?
TRACTOR

Should be OK. I haven't looked into how a guy would disable them, but there should be a connector in the GPCM that could be unplugged, or better yet, try pulling the B+. You'll have to watch the SES light. Not sure if it will go into a default mode or not.

The plugs run quite a bit actually. The wait to start light is short, but the plugs remain on for 30 seconds or more depending on the conditions.

Tractor
04-01-2006, 22:17
Thanks John
My buddy Larry got his truck back at noon Thursday. The dealer just programmed the gpcm. They did not check the glow plugs. They also told him that they should be fine. I told him what you said, that they should be fine. He went over the mountains today and sure likes the manual option on the allison. It is running great. He does like his 2006 better then his 02..
TRACTOR

kdp974
07-10-2006, 07:16
Well the worst has come true for me. I purchased me Duramax on th 1st of July and had it in the shop on the 3rd they told me that the tech did not clear the codes from the recall at this time. The morning of the 5th the check engine came on again, and back it went to the dealer, got GM and service manage involved. The thing has melted 3 plugs. Now they are disasemblying the engine to check for damage. With this aside I realize that the engine is covered for 100,000 miles however with them having to take apart my engine should I be worried about problems later, or resale (carfax reporting)?:confused:

More Power
07-10-2006, 08:55
The dealership dropped the ball... :( The glow system campaign should have been done before you bought it - as directed in the Glow System recall (http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/dmaxservicebulletin0406.htm) document.

Jim

hapaschold
07-10-2006, 18:42
The dealership dropped the ball... :( The glow system campaign should have been done before you bought it - as directed in the Glow System recall (http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/dmaxservicebulletin0406.htm) document.

Jim

anyway of telling if recall adjustment was made ? thru service records? or did my early may 06 build come out of factory corrected ?

More Power
07-10-2006, 20:03
The service bulletin was dated April 2006, so a May build should have had the update, but it's close enough to the recall date that I suppose the glow system campaign could have gone either way.

It may be in the service records - might not be... It's spilled milk now...

It'll work out.... It's just an inconvenience at this point. :rolleyes:

Jim

kdp974
07-11-2006, 15:53
Tomorrow will be a week since the truck was brought in to the service center last Friday they did get as far as to find that 3 plugs were damaged. I got notice today that they had another diesel that just finished up and would be getting to mine maybe tomorrow, they have only one diesel tech at this center (this is their parker store, they have one other chevy and one GMC center in denver area). I like my truck I just wish I could drive it. It has spent more time in the shop than on the road since I have owned it. Only 500 miles on it, and 107 of those were from before I bought it. You would think that some sales person would have noticed the check engine light in a test drive and sent it to the shop, so that me the unlucky buyer would not be waiting to enjoy my NEW TRUCK!!

David Proske
07-12-2006, 09:48
Well I took a look at the article posted on the diesel page, and according to my VIN, my truck is affected. I bought my truck sometime in feb 06. I have not gotten a letter or phone call. Will call the dealer today.

spongebob
07-12-2006, 21:06
i got a recall letter from GM..took it in and the dealer couldnt reprogram it, so they installed a new module..

*gulp*

kdp974
07-13-2006, 06:59
Found out yesterday that the engine that I had was 1 of 50 that suffered a power surge on the assembly line, and that GM will have a new one to the service center in 48hrs to be installed. They told me its a new truck it gets a new engine. As a testament to the Duramax mine had from what the service manager tells me only one glow that was not effected, you could not tell by how well it started the only reason I took the truck in to begin with was the check engine light was on in my new truck and I do not like to see idiot lights.