PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Brake booster?

gvig
03-26-2006, 09:06
Hi All,

Yesterday I was cruising slowly in town at about 15 mph, crowded sidewalks, and light traffic (Palm Springs, CA) when I heard the sound of a shotgun (sounded like an unchoked 12 ga) going off, the truck actually shook. I quickly checked with my passengers because I thought someone had shot the truck, but no damage, just a lot of funny looks on our faces. The crowds on the sidewalk were all looking at my truck and I was scanning the gauges rapidly. I had felt the pressure shock mostly in the floor boards and the steering column so I was sure something dramatic had taken place under the hood.

Made it to the next corner, turned and noticed the steering wheel didn't seem to return to neutral easily, it needed help, all the gauges were still normal and the engine was running smoothly. I was heading for a side street to get things shut down. One block later, I turned again, this time with two hands struggling on the wheel and to stop took both feet on the pedal, engine still running great, the exhaust merrily burbling away. But no power steering and no power brakes.

Opened the hood, and oil (power steering fluid actually) was everywhere. The power brake booster housing had fractured around the accumulater, the cannister was laying on the lower A frame, and the piston was laying on the frame, just behind the upper A frame mounts. No sign of the spring nor the remnants of the housing, I figured they were still laying back in the street. Somehow it didn't seem necessary to go retreive them as I had other problems more pressing right then.

My concern is this, has this happened to anyone else?, and a word of caution, there is a ton of pressure on that accumulator. I will never again open the hood without casting a leery eye at that thing.

The power brake booster had been replaced less that 6 months ago, a reman from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

A tow (a carry by a flat bed wrecker actually) got me back to where I have my fifth wheel and now the repairs begin. Got to contact O'Reilly and see how they want to handle things.

I thank God I wasn't at speed on I-10 or had the fiver behind me when it happened . That could have been a bit challenging.

SHEIDEN9
03-26-2006, 21:14
sounds to me like the retaining ring that holds the accumulator wasnt seated all the way into the groove that holds it into the housing, or the housing broke at the groove. most rebuilders have some kind of warranty i would contact them. glad to hear you are ok that could have been real bad

ronniejoe
03-27-2006, 03:18
Welcome to the forum! Glad you're ok!

I have never heard of that before Hope all works out for you in the end.

tommac95
03-28-2006, 08:57
Great stoty !
Congrats on your survival. I feel prepared for another possible oddball failure.
Also more concern over remanned parts....
Any damage incurred by the turbo's vacuum-solenoid, firewall-mounted baro sensor , glo-plug controller , or wire harness?
And, GVIG, if you put some year/model info in your signature, we can more readily offer comments that are particularly relevant [though, in this case, the powerbooster is not much changed over years...though recent models are said to have been designed for quicker action].

gvig
03-29-2006, 14:22
No visible damage to anything else, though the cannister hit something hard enough to egg shape it, the piston won't even try to go back in it. The replacement parts are due today, the repairs start this afternoon.

But I am going to have to go after the engine and compartment thoroughly with Castrol Super Cleaner, then the car wash, everything now is rust proof :eek:

Sorry about the sig, I didn't know that they didn't come over from the old BB, I've been a member for the last 5 years.