PDA

View Full Version : EGT gauge/boost gauge

salty dawg
03-26-2006, 14:38
I have an '05 2500 HD LLY/Allison, planning to use it to tow a 5er in the 12-13000 lb. range. No problem as far as I see, but I've been reading a lot of posts on other sites dealing with high EGT (exhaust gas temp) and possible turbo problems, especially when mountain towing. Have any of you installed gauges to monitor turbo activity? My truck is stock, about 16K miles, so I'm kind of hinky about any aftermarket stuff causing warranty problems. Also my first diesel, so I have a lot to learn. Thanks in advance for any help.

garre1tt
03-28-2006, 01:06
Do the triple. Pyro, boost and tyranny.
If you are pulling it is the only way to truly know you are not hurting your rig.
Warranty concerns should be answered by the manufacturer of the product.
My experience has been great with customer service with the advertisers on TDP

salty dawg
03-28-2006, 15:45
Also wondering if gauge installation is a DIY job or should I have a mechanic do it? I did a lot of shade-tree stuff back in the carbureted days, but nothing involving new electronics, and never on a diesel before. Thanks again.

chipper
03-29-2006, 10:24
I have an '05 2500 HD LLY/Allison, planning to use it to tow a 5er in the 12-13000 lb. range. No problem as far as I see, but I've been reading a lot of posts on other sites dealing with high EGT (exhaust gas temp) and possible turbo problems, especially when mountain towing. Have any of you installed gauges to monitor turbo activity? My truck is stock, about 16K miles, so I'm kind of hinky about any aftermarket stuff causing warranty problems. Also my first diesel, so I have a lot to learn. Thanks in advance for any help.

As long as you leave it stock, I dont know of any need to install gauges. The truck computer wont let you hurt it. I have about 35k on mine towing a 13k 5er mostly in the mountains & no problems.

Tsckey
03-29-2006, 12:19
Gauges are a good idea, even stock, especially if you tow at high altitude. Even before adding the Juice, I saw temps over 1,200 degrees while towing in Colorado. I backed off and downshifted at that point just to be on the safe side, though I understand the engine can withstand those temps without damage. My load was lighter than you contemplate, probably 10,500 lbs. Unless the LLY is different, the Duramax does not monitor its own EGTs and while it is unlikely you could hurt a stock engine a gauge will ensure that you don