PDA

View Full Version : Making Oil

Chris611
03-26-2006, 17:21
I checked the oil today and the level is high. My truck uses a couple quarts between changes, so I was surprised to see it high. I searched the forum for "making oil" and couldn't find any posts directly related to this. I thought I saw one the other day. I'm assuming leaking injector right? I put some "ebay special" bosch injectors in 10-15K miles ago. I also seem to have a louder than normal clatter at idle. Otherwise the truck starts and runs fine. If I crack each injector line, will I be able to isolate if its an injector and which injector? What do I listen for? A drop in engine RPM's? Also what effect will the diluted engine oil have on the lower part of the engine?

Thanks
Chris

john8662
03-27-2006, 00:59
Are you losing coolant?

Dexcool mixes with engine oil, so it will appear to be making oil.

Chris611
03-27-2006, 05:31
Coolant is a little low, although if I remeber right, its been that way since I had coolant flush and the red stuff replaced with green. The oil is proabably 3/4" above the top of the operating range. I don't know how much "fluid" that would take to raise it that amount. If it's coolant, would that mean head gasket problem? Would I see air bubbles in the coolant? Don't know if it matters or not, but this truck sits most of the time. I only use it put haul stuff, pull trailers, etc. It's not my daily driver. I've heard about oil analysis. Do most truck shops offer this and whats it cost? Wondered if I could do that to find out if it's fuel or coolant in the oil.

Thanks for the help
Chris

redbird2
03-27-2006, 06:28
Yes most heavy truck shops have oil sample kits available, Do you have an Amsoil dealer close by they used to offer oil sample kits. You might also check with a Caterpillar, Cummins dealers they used oil test kits alot. I know the kits we use run around 25.00 for sample kit and testing.

Is the oil that your truck the real nasty thick black, or is it real thin. as for you question about bubbles in the coolant tank that would olny be the case if you had a cracked head, cracked cylinder wall or bad headgasket. However you could have a cracked block in the main web area which would just push coolant it to the oil pan and not have compression into the coolant system.

I had one a year ago the time chain cover where the water pump mounts the coolant passages where leaking into the timing chain area, one of the passages had a small leak the alumiun was corroid away this customer had not maintained the cooling system. This was the only one I've seen do this in the 20 years I've worked on 6.2/6.5 enigines but it was on a 1996 years truck this is highly unlikely but always possible.

Chris611
03-27-2006, 15:14
Redbird, the oil isn't sticky. I would say it's a little on the thin side. If I pull the dipstick and blot it on a piece of paper, and turn the paper vertical the drop will begin to run after a second or two. I still feels very slippery. I assume if its sticky, thats coolant and if it's thin, thats diesel?

Thanks guys
Chris

redbird2
03-27-2006, 18:24
You are correct antifreeze makes it like sticky, diesel will cause it to thin out. I would change the oil and take a sample ASAP. any extra smoke out the tail pipe like unbrunt raw fuel, how about fuel mileage getting worse. you don't want to take to long as you could hurt the cylinder walls rings pistons washing the cylinder walls down. It's possible could leak fuel out the front of the pump and into the crank case not likely but other than the injectors only place where fuel and oil could mix.

The sample will tell you what you are chasing. good luck

Chris611
03-28-2006, 17:21
Thanks for the help. I talked to a local truck repair shop and they are going to send off a sample of oil for me. $14 I think. Tonight I pulled the plug very slowly to see if water was the first liquid to come out of the oil pan. The truck shop guy suggested this. He said if coolant has leaked into the oil pan, the water will be at the bottom of the oil pan. Well, no water, only oil. Seems like a good thing as that would be the expensive fix :) I also changed the oil to try and keep good fresh oil in there. I got just over 7.5 qts of oil out. I know it only takes 7 quarts, but at this stage in my oil change, I should have only gotten 6 quarts out. Will be interesting to see what the oil test shows. I have enjoyed this truck very much, but unfortunatly feel like the engine is a ticking time bomb and I'm just waiting for the big bang. I almost hate to push it any and I don't like that feeling... Oh well, enough of my rant.

Thanks guys
Chris

Bnave95
04-07-2006, 02:55
Thanks for the help. I talked to a local truck repair shop and they are going to send off a sample of oil for me. $14 I think. Tonight I pulled the plug very slowly to see if water was the first liquid to come out of the oil pan. The truck shop guy suggested this. He said if coolant has leaked into the oil pan, the water will be at the bottom of the oil pan. Well, no water, only oil. Seems like a good thing as that would be the expensive fix :) I also changed the oil to try and keep good fresh oil in there. I got just over 7.5 qts of oil out. I know it only takes 7 quarts, but at this stage in my oil change, I should have only gotten 6 quarts out. Will be interesting to see what the oil test shows. I have enjoyed this truck very much, but unfortunatly feel like the engine is a ticking time bomb and I'm just waiting for the big bang. I almost hate to push it any and I don't like that feeling... Oh well, enough of my rant.

Thanks guys
Chris
Lost track of some of the older post when gone. Chris,what was the end results? Also I see that you have H2O injection. Was this one of Bill's Health?

Chris611
04-07-2006, 10:30
I haven't gotten the results yet. Supposed to be in this afternoon.

I made my own H20 system. I did call and talk to Bill Heath about some flow rates and the construction of the system. He was very helpful, even though I wasn't buying one of his systems. The biggest thing I learned from him is that it wasn't improtant to "mist" the water in, but you can just dribble it in and the air flow from the tubro breaks the water drops into smaller parts. I had fun designing and building it. I am having a problem with the pressure switch wanting to "flutter" when it shuts off. I think some sort of resister is needed to snap the contacts shut, but I'm not sure.

Thanks
Chris

Chris611
04-17-2006, 12:10
Just an update. I got the oil results back today. The report states that everything is normal and no corrective action is needed. I was relieved to find out. I must have over filled at some point. I do remember adding oil before I trailered the boat from IL to Iowa. I must have added too much. Feel dumb for overfilling, but relieved that it wasn't a cracked block! The truck guy says the oil tests are money well spent. He has caught many early bearing failures before they take out the more expensive parts like cranks.

Thanks guys
Chris