PDA

View Full Version : Caliper Play - How Much

JTodd
03-26-2006, 18:34
I have something going on with one of my hub/rotor/caliper, the left side. Two things I noticed. 1) the back side of a month old rotor is trashed. The clearance between it and the knuckle look fine, but something has chewed the h3ll out of it. 2) When pulling the caliper, there is a lot of play there. The sleeves that the retaining bolts go through have a ton of play between them and the caliper. How much is there suposed to be? Is it the caliper that is over-wore or will new sleeves tighten things up?

More Power
03-29-2006, 11:38
Pull the caliper(s) off, then replace the rubber bushings and seals associated with the mounting bolts, and fill the space between the bushings with high temperature silicone brake grease before reassembling the components.

I don't know how much clearance or play there should be between the bolts and caliper mounts on the spindle, but a careful inspection after cleaning the parts will let you know if there's excessive wear. Otherwise, it sounds like mounting bolts and calipers are binding, which is producing pressure on only one side of the rotor. You may need to replace or resurface the damaged rotor. The book recommends matching both right & left side brake components or repairs on the same "axle" to help produce even/straight braking.

Jim

stingthieves
03-29-2006, 11:52
I have something going on with one of my hub/rotor/caliper, the left side. Two things I noticed. 1) the back side of a month old rotor is trashed. The clearance between it and the knuckle look fine, but something has chewed the h3ll out of it. 2) When pulling the caliper, there is a lot of play there. The sleeves that the retaining bolts go through have a ton of play between them and the caliper. How much is there suposed to be? Is it the caliper that is over-wore or will new sleeves tighten things up?

When setting the front calipers on the old racecar - I left the bushings out... That allowed a WHOLE lot of clearance and the caliper would release completely from the rotor - gatta go fast ya know! So when you say clearance is good but there is a lot of play there - well unless I am not understanding the symptom it must be one or the other. Lets say its sloppy. That’s OK! its just makes noisy brakes, maybe a low pedal, so you have to blame something else. My guess is the caliper piston is sticking! It should be relaxing its grip on the rotor but that would wear one side more than the other. Replace that rotor again and hang a new/rebuilt caliper. Now if it pulls when your done the other caliper piston is also hanging up! Tough to say until you drive it. The ONLY way to get a fault tolerant brake job on an hi mileage vehicle is to replace the hoses calipers pads and the rotors at the same time on both sides. Assemble with brake lube not Anti Sieze. Big bill $$$ or replace one piece at a time till things stop failing.. hummm more $$$ and annoyance Kind Regards Rick

stingthieves
03-29-2006, 11:59
OH and flush out that dark beer colored stuff that used to be brake fluid with new - till it runs nice and clear.