PDA

View Full Version : Simple and quick programmer / power adder

Mark Rinker
03-27-2006, 13:30
I am looking for an inexpensive, quickly portable OBD-II port 'tuner' for my two LB7s. Code reading, clearing, tire size mods, etc. are as important as occasionally applying a 'hot' tune for a truck pull, then removing it for daily use.

Hot Xcelerator or Duramaximizer are both available for cheap when purchased used. Hypertech and DiabloSport appear similar. Trying to decide. Any thoughts? Either one easier if stacked with propane for a truck pull - i.e. more aware of transmission slippage?

(Don't worry JK, I know who to turn to for my LLY and LBZ...taking things in baby steps here so I can learn what the rest of you have learned over the last 5 years...)

More Power
03-27-2006, 13:50
The LB7 Predator and other programmers are tied to a particular VIN once a tune has been loaded onto a truck. This complicates selling a used programmer. PPE's programmer is useable on multiple trucks, as long as you restore the stock tune in the original vehicle's ECM before moving it to another. Predator's LLY programmer can be used on multiple trucks as well, as long as you restore the stock tune before attempting to use it on another truck. This is how they all should work. :)

However, I believe most programmers can be used to read/reset codes on another truck (as long as it's LB7/LLY specific) without loading a tune. I know this works with the Bully Dog Power Pup and the Predator.

Jim

Mark Rinker
03-27-2006, 14:19
Good to know. Having one that is easily portable for applying/removing tunes between both LB7's is a must. Now having two nearly identical LB7s will allow me to test the propane and other tunes side by side - both for average mileage and power.

We are finishing up the gauge and propane install today. Has taken longer than expected as the truck has been very busy and hard to give up for even a day or two.

More soon...I expect to be purging and filling the 22 gallon propane tank tomorrow, checking all fittings for leaks.

We are doing some cool stuff with dash mounted indicators so you get a visual when the propane is flowing. The stock kit only has one red indicator for malfunction. We will have that plus yellow (tank pressure low, needs refilling) and green (propane is being injected...)

Fun stuff!

Kennedy
03-27-2006, 19:06
EFI Live...

Mark Rinker
03-27-2006, 20:12
I know...and I will likely be over for a custom tune...but in the mean time I need to pick ONE just for diagnostics and tire sizes mods.

Which one - just for the OBD-II features, if nothing else?

Kennedy
03-28-2006, 06:27
EFI Live (requires PC or laptop) 1st choice

Diablo Predator 2nd choice

The Pred can be a bit slow on the uptake so I don't trust balance rates, but otherwise it is a good tool.

Claven
03-28-2006, 16:22
Kennedy, I am really interested in purchasing the EFI live, the one question I have is can you achieve the same gains with that one package as you can with the programers, boxes, stacking, ect...or do you use it aswell as the others? (talkin lb7's)

Kennedy
03-29-2006, 15:45
Yes it can be done. Now how well the Average Joe does remains to be seen. I've had really good success with the program so far and have been doing tunes on an exchange basis.