PDA

View Full Version : Anyone swapped into mid-80's truck?

Scott Nixon
03-28-2006, 10:04
My 6.2 it getting tired, and I've got a 6.5 I'm looking to rebuild.

But then my neighbor wandered over and told me he can get me a smoking deal on a rolled Durmax for less than a rebuild on my 6.5 would cost. Hmmm, better motor, OD tranny, got me thinking.

Anyone done this? Major surgery or drop in? Electrical issues?

Please, somebody tell me this is impossible so I can go back to planning my nice, safe 6.5 build. :)

trbankii
03-28-2006, 11:34
http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramaxconversions.htm

More Power
03-28-2006, 14:26
I've spoken to a couple of people in the past couple of years who began a Duramax conversion project using an 80's GM truck. I haven't heard yet of any being completed.

One of these mentioned an interference problem between the exhaust system and the frame rail(s) that required cutting the frame. The thought of cutting the frame makes me a little uneasy, unless additional structural support was added.

The Spike TV channel is running an ongoing project on their Extreme 4x4 program where they're installing a Banks twin-turbocharged Duramax/Allison into an 80's chassis. It once was a 3/4 ton Suburban, but will wind up with an Urban Gorilla HMMWV replica body.

Anything is possible. Just takes a little ingenuity and motivation to begin and then see the project through to completion. :)

Jim

TankBulldog
03-28-2006, 18:38
As you can see I am a junkie. I embarked on a project 67 Suburban (May 05)with a Duramax/allison swap. I found the engine to fit within the frame rails and it did not require any frame cutting. So, I think the 80's frame rails are the same or very close. However it is a very time consuming project that is yet to be completed. I had to build custom motor mounts, cut the tranny tunnel to fit big Allison, and a lot of other items; specifically the computer security system. I really want it to look stock, so I am waiting (hoping) that because the motor is so good and a lot of units have been sold some aftermarket hot rodder will find a way around it. Otherwise it will require updating to 2001 wiring etc..

If you have the time and $$$ give it a go!

87max
04-03-2006, 19:42
Anything is possible but this isn't a quick process for a rundown read my reply to the question"duramax in an 80's 3/4 ton" on page two in the members forum. Or you can drop me a private message.