PDA

View Full Version : Extension For Towing W/ Slide-in Truck Camper

CareyWeber
03-28-2006, 11:20
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I have needed to fix my extension for towing with my Lance 915 (9.5'). I bought this +40" extension in 1999 used from a guy with an 11.5' camper. I used it that way and it worked fine when flat towing my Scout and with small trailers, but I got a 18' trailer to haul my Scout and it was to much with that long extension. I shortened it to about 18" or so. I also added two 2" receivers to each side to help triangulate the extension I got two shanks that are 3.25

crafty
03-28-2006, 13:29
Have you tried TSC for the turnbuckles? Another option around here is a store called "Brofasco" but I don't know if they are in the US. They can get almost any kind of fastener you can think of.:D :D :D

CareyWeber
03-28-2006, 15:34
Have you tried TSC for the turnbuckles? Another option around here is a store called "Brofasco" but I don't know if they are in the US. They can get almost any kind of fastener you can think of.:D :D :D

Thanks for the idea.

No I have not, but they are quite aways from me.

I have found lots of them with aluminum bodies, but no all steel ones yet.

Thanks
Carey

Craig M
03-29-2006, 14:04
I have occasionally seen these towing extensions on pickup trucks and I am very leary of them. Towing a vehicle, on all four wheel, up hill and level is probably ok. Turn slowly and stop with care. Down hill would be putting stress on that extension. Sudden stops or turns would seem to way stress the units. A 2 wheel trailer would seem impossible. A load that far out from the receiver would scare the heck out of me. I have no personal experience with them, but would not use them with my vehicles.

CareyWeber
03-29-2006, 20:43
I have occasionally seen these towing extensions on pickup trucks and I am very leary of them. Towing a vehicle, on all four wheel, up hill and level is probably ok. Turn slowly and stop with care. Down hill would be putting stress on that extension. Sudden stops or turns would seem to way stress the units. A 2 wheel trailer would seem impossible. A load that far out from the receiver would scare the heck out of me. I have no personal experience with them, but would not use them with my vehicles.

Since I've used it since 2000 and towed with it all the way from Alaska I'm fairly used to it. ;) It was ok with my 18' trailer, but I think its going to be much better now than the way it was.

Carey

NYCEGUY01
03-29-2006, 22:47
Go to your local farm store. IFA or CAL RANCH or similiar place
At cal ranch they sell super heavy duty ones made for the 3 point setup on the back of tractors. they are strong ,steel, and cheap. On an old project of mine i even used them to make suspension links for a rockcrawler . i think i paid like $ 34 each and i never had a failure even when bashed on rocks and they come in several sizes