PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 rebuild are recrank?

soulman67
03-29-2006, 20:14
I have a 96 K3500 srw with 220K and the harmonic balancer spun off the crank and the key stock took a chunk of the crank with it. It vibrated like crazy, so I patched it with JB weld and it stayed for a week. Now the crank spins but the harmonic balancer doesn't. So it runs, but I have no power accesories and no water pump. It doesn't viberate and still runs strong and doesn't get hot running down the road, cause I had to drive it like this for 12 miles from class to home. It gets hot idling so I had to shut it off at red lights.

So back to my question I have another spare 92 6.5 engine that has a good crank. So I just put new bearings in it and the crank, or rebuild the whole engine. If it can be fixed by just swaping cranks I'll do that and go back to using in it. Cause I am going broke driving my Grand Wagoneer gas hog.

dieseldummy
03-29-2006, 21:42
First things first, Do Not Run It Anymore! If you keep running it like this you will break the crank and probably the block. I'd recomend pulling the engine out and tearing it down. Have everything checked out by a machine shop. Most likely it will need to be gone through, but you might get away with a hone/ring job with the new crank.

john8662
03-30-2006, 08:03
Remove the engine to swap the crank. Unless you're very very talented, swapping the crank with the engine installed will be no small task. Aligning the rods to allow you to slide it up into the engine will be very aggravating. It's hard enough swapping a crank on a stand with ALL the pistons and rods already in their bores and point up at you.