PDA

View Full Version : defuel or not-that is the question

redrider#1
03-30-2006, 10:46
Just got the edge juice with attitude and have a question. I know it has been discussed at some length(I did a search but didn't get a very clear answer) about the defuel question. I know defueling is there to protect the tranny, but I have never liked how my Allison shifts. It has always hesitated and if I didn't know better, I would say it is slipping between shifs, never a firm shift (unless in tow/haul mode), but I know this is just how it works...stock. Now, how much harm is it really to allow no defueling, unloaded on a day to day basis on level 3? I sure like the firm shifts it now produces, but don't want to hurt the Allison.

Kennedy
03-30-2006, 19:54
I don't think the defueling is that big a deal. It wil still defuel with the factory program so I typically turn it off. You will have to get a feel for how it shifts before abusing it too much to see how it reacts.

redrider#1
03-31-2006, 10:55
Kennedy, is it normal for the shifts to be firm for the first few miles in the morning when the juice is not up to full potential yet (since engine temp is still low), and then the shifts become more "mushy" later when juice is at 100% on level 3? I don't know why, but this seems to be occuring.

Kennedy
03-31-2006, 18:15
What happens is that the Allison adapts to the power of the Edge and when you start out cold and teh Edge is off, the Allison is anticipating power that is not there so yes it is normal.

The firm shifts are the best ones. Wish we could do it this way all the time. With EFI Live getting into Allison capabilities, we may well see the day when we get firm shifts all the time. I've been ripping off some pretty nice shifts with my trucks as of late (FINALLY)...